2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

automatic transmission not shifting rpms redline

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ophidia
If the "kickdown" cable broke or became disconnected, wouldn't this be what would happen? A long time ago I had an '81 Buick Skylark. It was a total piece of ****, and the kickdown cable broke when I was about 100 miles away from home. It would go to redline in every gear before it would shift. What I did was pull the cable out so it shifted like it were under light throttle, and taped it in place with a ****load of black tape. I'm not sure if this applies in this case, but it was a good story, anyway.

No. Dodges dont have a failsafe. When the cable is disconnected it gives little to no TV pressure and should stack shift, or shift very softly and weird.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:29 PM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. After I posted that, I thought about it a bit, and the cable moves in the opposite direction than it did on old unreliable-- throttle pulls the cable out on the truck, and the throttle let the cable pull in on the POS.

Quick Reply: automatic transmission not shifting rpms redline