2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

performance help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
power freak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile performance help

I'm a newbie here but got a few questions.

My story: The original 5.9 motor in my truck dropped a valve in the block so I bought a used one and did the swap in my garage but it doesn't seem to have the same power that the old one did, but it runs ok.

My questions: I live in Northern California so I have to deal with smog, but I want to re-build the engine that dropped the valve with as much horse power and torque as possible while still being able to pass smog.

I am will to replace anything and everythingfrom the oil pan up but just need help and info on heads and anything that I can put on and still be smog legal.

Thank you for any help.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

How many miles on the new motor? Have you checked the compression? Have you checked to see if the lower intake gasket is leaking?http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm

Old 01-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

As far as the performance side, heres a pretty good article at what you will be looking at, http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ine/index.html
I found a stock replacement edelbrock air gap intake for this truck at jegs.com, go to mopar performance, air and induction, and then MPI intakes. Shorty headers, free flowing cat, and catback exhaust should keep you street legal. Just remember, a performance transmission is goin to cost you!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM
power freak

Originally Posted by zman17
How many miles on the new motor? Have you checked the compression? Have you checked to see if the lower intake gasket is leaking?http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm
About 55,000 miles on the new motor and I replaced all the gaskets except for the head gaskets before I put it in.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you set the fuel sync with a scan tool?
Distributor has a cam sensor which detects cam position and fires the injectors. Without the fuel sync on the injectors could be firing too soon or too late killing power.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:03 PM
power freak

Originally Posted by Jpnorris87
As far as the performance side, heres a pretty good article at what you will be looking at, http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ine/index.html
I found a stock replacement edelbrock air gap intake for this truck at jegs.com, go to mopar performance, air and induction, and then MPI intakes. Shorty headers, free flowing cat, and catback exhaust should keep you street legal. Just remember, a performance transmission is goin to cost you!!!
Thank you for the link and info, and yah I 've seen some fairly steep prices on transmissions .

Quick Reply: performance help