2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

***still throwing a engine code grrrrrr!***

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
93svt_freak
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ***still throwing a engine code grrrrrr!***

Here it goes....

My temp gauges quit working awhile back and was throwing the "Engine coolant temp" code.

Anyways, I changed the plug on the end that connects into the sensor and the gauge is working great and has been since the thw change....But now it's still throws the same damn code even though the gauge works???

When the check engine light comes on the computer starts messing with the fuel and timing then it runs like crap.

Is there any way to bypass this crap and keep the light off and have the gauge working?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
jmhai
Veteran

There are two coolant sensors in different locations, one for the gauge and one for the PCM. check both. Did you clear the codes and they came back or been on the whole time.?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

also check the reading of the temp gauge. if it doesn't come up to about 180 or so it'll throw the 1261 or 1281? about engine staying cold too long. if you've got a lukewarm engine around 140-150-160, then you'll need to replace the thermostat.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're coolant temp sensor isn't working or is wired incorrectly you're going to run pig rich and probably idle like crap. The ground for the sensors in our trucks all run along the same circuit to the PCM, kind of like the old Christmas lights where one bulb goes and they all go out. If you have a bad sensor or no sensor in the loop, the PCM throws fits.

You need to replace the entire sensor, not just the plug, I'm not even sure how you did that. The temp sensor is a simple thermistor inside a plastic "tube" filled with white goo that feels like assembly lube. That whole part is encased in a brass cylinder with threads to fit into the bung in the intake manifold. I'm not sure which year they changed from 2 sensors to just one, but you might want to check around for a second one as well.

Did you switch T-Stats to a colder one? What was the exact code you got?

Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 AM
93svt_freak
Amateur

When this first started the temp gauge wouldn't work at all so I put 3 new temp sensors
(2 in 1 sensor) in thinking maybe I got a couple of bad ones, Then I seen the plug had come apart on the inside.

So I went to the Dodge dealer and they would only sell me a complete wiring harness. After that I just went to the junk yard and got what I needed and everything had been good for about 1000 miles after the change with no codes....And then today it started giving me the same code again. "Engine coolant temp sensor"

I haven't change to a colder thermostat....Just for this reason...lol

Drives me nuts!!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:04 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You are replacing the one next to the thermostat housing correct?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:56 PM
93svt_freak
Amateur

Originally Posted by zman17
You are replacing the one next to the thermostat housing correct?
Yes, That's the one.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I think you need to have someone put a good scanner on it and see what the PCM thinks the temp is.

And by saying you installed a 2 in 1 sensor, do you mean you only have one sensor? Or did you put something else on it as far as the sensor goes?

And one more thing, hows the heat? And is the top rad hose hot after the gauge says it's up to temp?

Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 PM
93svt_freak
Amateur

Originally Posted by zman17
I think you need to have someone put a good scanner on it and see what the PCM thinks the temp is.

And by saying you installed a 2 in 1 sensor, do you mean you only have one sensor? Or did you put something else on it as far as the sensor goes?

And one more thing, hows the heat? And is the top rad hose hot after the gauge says it's up to temp?
Yes, I only have 1 sensor

Heat works great

Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Just curious, what brand sensor? and do you know the part # of the one you installed?

Quick Reply: ***still throwing a engine code grrrrrr!***