2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing 02 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:03 PM
dpixley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing 02 Sensor

How difficult is it to change one of these? I've located the sensor but can't see where the wire harness goes to because it looks like it's on top of the transmission. Should I have someone replace it? Thanks.

PS Probably should have mentioned that it's a '98 1500 318

Last edited by dpixley; 01-06-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add clarifying info
Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great thought went into that design HUH? You basically have to do it blind. Look at the post cat plug to see how it disconnects. Besides getting the plug disconnected it is slid into a plastic bracket to keep it/them from rubbing on every thing.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:49 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I did my front and rear o2's not too long ago. I rented the remover from autozone... and honestly i would recommend it. I had to add a length of pipe to the tool to get the o2's loose, but it made it so much easier. Like zman said, the plugs are a bit hard to get too, luckly mine wern't put back right after my trans was rebuilt so I was in and out in 10 minutes.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 PM
ophidia
Captain

The only part I had trouble with when doing mine was getting that plug back together-- had to fumble with it quite a bit. As far as removing the sensors, I just heated them up with a torch then they came right out with a wrench-- like butter. I couldn't move them to save my life before then.

A propane torch is your friend.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ophidia
The only part I had trouble with when doing mine was getting that plug back together-- had to fumble with it quite a bit. As far as removing the sensors, I just heated them up with a torch then they came right out with a wrench-- like butter. I couldn't move them to save my life before then.

A propane torch is your friend.
How long did you have the torch on them?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
ophidia
Captain

Ugh, I'm not quite sure. It was long enough for the bung to almost glow. I'd say < 5 min but I'm not 100% sure.

It's important to note that I mostly aimed it at the bung because I've had the nut on the O2 sensor get soft and just strip right out when one tries to remove it (on my friend's Dakota). That ended up sucking ***.

Quick Reply: Changing 02 Sensor