2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
VA5326
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Lock Problem

Hello all! Obviously I'm new here. Well after doing some thread searching I found out why my windshield wiper intermittent switch didn't work. My electronic locks haven't worked for quite some time along with my intermittent switch. I replaced the fuse in slot 13 and..... bam, the intermittent switch worked. I grazed the electonic lock button getting out of the truck today to pick up the mail and the fuse blew out and I had to relpace the fuse again. I have no idea what the problem is with my electronic lock system and I am used to locking the doors manually. So, is replacing the electronic lock system a difficult task or should I just disconnect them? Also, is replacing the locks a feasible DIY task or would I have take it to a dealership? If I should just cut my losses and disconnect them, how do I go about doing it? Thanks guys and gals I hope to be a long time member with this forum as I love my truck and by reading some of these threads I can tell this forum has more than a wealth of information.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
VA5326

Bump. I could really use. Some help on this.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
shepard
Rookie

Well, if you have a volt meter, here's where I'd start. If you don't have a meter, go buy one, it'll save you some serious dough in the future.

Unplug the lock motors, pull the fuse, put one lead of the multi-meter in the "cold" side of the fuse holder, the other lead on a good ground (multi-meter set to check for continuity). When you hit the switch, the meter either will, or will not show continuity to ground.

If it does show continuity with the motor unplugged, then you know the problem is in the wiring itself. If no continuity, check it again with the motor(s) plugged in, to see if one of the motors is shorted internally. You can check each motor independently this way, also, if need be.

Now if the problem lies in the wires, I'd look first at the area where the wires flex, like in the door hinge area. It would not be cool to replace a motor, only to find a short in the wire afterward. Much cheaper to repair a wire. Shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Lemme know.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
APA228
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing you need to do is disconnect the Passenger side power door plug located in the kick panel in front of the door. This removes this door from the circuit so you can operate the door lock switch on the Driver's side door. See if the fuse blows with just that door. If it does the driver's door lock is the problem and if it does not the problem is the passenger side motor.
Whichever side it is, you can remove the inner door panel by:
1- removing the screws in the pull handle in the armrest.
2- remove wiring from power mirror switch (Driver's side).
3- remove power window switch and door lock switch assembly Gently pry up and out.
4- wedge the door panel away from the door.
This gives you access to the lock motor.
Inspect wiring and use an Ohmmeter to take resistance readings on the motor leads. The reading should be fairly low but not zero. Take a reading between the motor leads and ground. The reading should be infinity (very high).
You can test the motor operation by running temporary wiring to it but since it is blowing fuses be careful doing it until you locate the problem.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
VA5326

Hey thanks guys. I will let you both know how it went when I check these two out.

Quick Reply: Electronic Lock Problem