2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

O2 Extender... anyone use this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question O2 Extender... anyone use this?

I've heard rumor at work that if you put an o2 extender on the downstream sensor.. it will increase gas mileage... has anyone done this... and does anyone see a problem doing so?

I'm guessing by pushing the sensor away from the exhaust gases.. it will read different and adjust the computer some how?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

manipulating the O2 sensor is an attempt to lean out the gas. Sure it'll save you fuel, and blow up your engine. Running lean = very bad.

I suggest an HHO generator and inflating you tires to 75psi. Add a TB spacer and a turbonator and you'll be banking 35mpgs.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 01-11-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I remember when he HAD a HHO Generator! Didnt you say you got 23 mpgs?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:36 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

yeah.. my best mpg was 23mpg... the HHO really did work... but the time it took to maintain was way tooo much! Had to check it constantly! I think doing a 4 tire rotation on with one jack would be less time consuming!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
dblj16380
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, there is probably already a forum for this, but what are the details of the HHO generator? Time? Money? Reliability? Thanks ahead of time.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dblj16380
Hey guys, there is probably already a forum for this, but what are the details of the HHO generator? Time? Money? Reliability? Thanks ahead of time.
Don't do it!! but.. here's the basics

Hydrogen is product by mixing distilled water with sodium hydroxide (granulated drain cleaner) you can also use baking soda... but it can clog your plates.... the plates: stainless steel plates that look like a light switch cover... about 8-10 of these plates are held together with nylon bolts and submerged in the water/baking soda mixture.... these plates are connected to a relay that can be turned on and off.. when turned on, an electric current is passed through the plates and the electrolite solution produces HHO gas... this gas is them plumbed into you air intake (before the filter) This makes 100% of the gasoline combust during the combustion cycle... the added oxygen makes you exhaust gas nearly 100% clean... some people have said water drips from the exhaust pipe..... before I ran the HHO generator I was getting 18mpg all highway with fresh tune-up... while running the HHO I was able to reach 23mph one time.. and was getting 21mpg pretty consistantly... I was driving in the early evening/morning because I was working 3rd shift drove about 800 miles a week

the bad.... mixing and maintaining a consistant elecrolite mixture. as you run the device it heats up and water evaporates off.... this cause the mixture to become strong the more you have it running... the perfect condictions would be a 15amp pull... after commuting 2 hours to work my readings where in the 25-30amp range.... so to fix the problem I would add more water to the tank.... this became a twice a day activity... if the mixture isn't right.. the results drop drastictly! You literally have to check your amps every time before driving anywhere.. also.. this system works best on vehicles before 1994.. like a 1990 or 1975... this is because the modern engines of today have so many computers that adjust gas/air ratios... when the generator is on it produces more oxygen.. therefore newer cars think there should be more gas.... to make it work on newer vehicles you need to use a electronic system that tricks your truck into running lean... it won't be lean because there is hydrogen to make a bigger combustion reaction...

anyways.. if you want more info let me know... also there are a few threads on here and you can also youtube it... plenty of info... you can make your own HHO gen set or buy one on ebay... just do a search there are hundreds!!

if you don't mind checking it everytime you drive.. then do it... if you want to install it and forget it... don't even consider this mod!

hope this helps

Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I've heard about different things like these that were supposed to be relatively maintenance free. All you had to do was keep the water topped off and you were all set. I heard that a 1L bottle of water would last like a tank of gas or something?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

^ yes... but for it to be effective.. you must maintain it daily..... depending on how much use it! I had to fill mine every day.. cause I was driving 4 hours total .... but if you only use it an hour a day or less.. it will last long... some one the high end kits may be better.. but mine was $300 delivered and I ended up melting cause it was pulling too many amps because I went 3 days without checking it!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

Sounds like a PITA! With gas prices still low I think I will pass for now. If they go back up to 4+ a gallon I might reconsider it. Thanks for the info though. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

no problem...