2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen transmissions--are they that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
HoustonDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02's tranny blew and I had to replace it. Luckily I extended the warranty and it was a hundred bucks at the dealer. I had a 99 and the tranny in it always made really strange noises when going into reverse. ALWAYS get the extended warranty! Arent they offering lifetime powertrain warranties nowadays??

Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
if the vin starts with w it's a mexican
actually the first character is 3.
made is US is 1.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I feel the Dodge tranny is no better or worse than anything else out there. One only has to read forums from other brands and find Dodge is not the lone ranger of tranny death. My tranny guy sees plenty of other brands in his shop.
I'd say the design is a bit flawed, since Mopar put 4 gears in a space that used to hold 3, but I've destroyed my share of torqueflites too. I even killed the supposedly bulletproof TH400.
When you start adding extra loading to a tranny, or any driveline part and do nothing to increase its life, nor be more intensive in its maintenance you should expect early faliure.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 01-12-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ If anything, Ford transmissions are the WORST

Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
^^ If anything, Ford transmissions are the WORST
And here I just completely disagree. My family owns six ford vehicles, all of which have over 100,000 miles on them, and they shift seamlessly.

In regards to the 46re, I think people get too caught up into saying it sucks. In my situation, my transmission died at 106,000 miles. It was killed because the previous owner had 35" tires on the truck, probably didn't service the truck regularly, and did not have a deep dish pan.

I am anxious to see how the 46re holds up in my truck now that I have the opportunity to start fresh with it. I will service it every 25,000 miles, and I know how to take care of a vehicle properly. Failure of a transmission, depends on what the variables are. Does the tire size coordinate accordingly with the gearing of the truck? Does the owner service the transmission in a timely manner? Does the owner invest in a cooler, or a bigger pan? And finally, how does the driver drive the truck. These are only 5 basic variables that can dictate the life of a transmission.

I just think it's ignorant when people talk about how Fords or Dodges are "NOTORIOUS" for breaking down. It's a silly accusation. I'm sure one could prove that one transmission is more prone to failure than others, but that doesn't mean they ALL suck. I see 94-01 rams driving around all the time...they can't be that bad.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
In my situation, my transmission died at 106,000 miles. It was killed because the previous owner had 35" tires on the truck, probably didn't service the truck regularly, and did not have a deep dish pan.
And don't forget those youtube burn out videos!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 AM
dblj16380
Veteran

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
congrats to dblj and his cousin on rebuilding/repairing it themselves.
No congrats in order yet. I still have to hook up the cooling lines and drive shafts before I can make sure it works good. Overall the rebuild went well and I am feeling pretty good about it.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM
dblj16380
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I've learned that when it comes to automatic transmissions, one can never be too clean, and the parts cannot have too much oil on them.

Where did you buy said manual? There are a lot of places out there that advertise rebuild kits. It's hard to tell what all is needed.
I live in Michigan and there is a shop in Pontiac called Gordon's Automotive and they specialize in transmission stuff. That is where I bought my rebuild kit, manual, and shift kit... and then the reverse drum and part rear support I found out was bad.

The kit was $105
The manual was $25
The shift kit (TFOD JR) was $20

then the reverse drum (new) and rear support (used, no scoring) were $86 total.

My trans was rebuilt by the dealer three years ago (app. 36K) and my bands looked great and had a lot of material left so I didn't change them out, just the clutches (frictions...whatever) and steels.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 AM
dblj16380
Veteran

This is an identical manual to the one that I bought. If this link doesn't work then I got to it from the Dodge Ram FAQ section and in it there is a spot titles 46RE Manual.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/228727/Dod...Service-Manual

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
That is what i'm assuming. Most of the trucks I see with the cracked dashes are the Michigan trucks. My truck is an El Burrito truck and has been a really great truck. I have minimal rust issues(only surface on rockers), solid dash, tranny went out at 130,000 miles.......BlaBla. And my truck was an abused, smoked-in, work truck before I bought it.
My truck was made in Mexico and I've had the cracked dash, lsd clip failure that's so common in the rear end, transmission died, and some other issues. I have 112k miles(I think). I've had a lot of problems compared to both the Honda's we have owned and really this truck has been the biggest money pit I've had. The problems seemed to really start around 97-100k miles. Before that I had to have the power steering pump done, some stuff like that but it wasn't horrible. Not good either. Around 97k miles it just really started with the major problems.