2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil thickness

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 PM
dodgewilltravel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil thickness

This for everybody in the north usa. Oil at -25 in oil pan turns to jell, Oil at -40 in pan turns to peanut butter, wounldnt that leave a void in your pan as it tries to suck, no doubt it is cold here to late for a pan heater, good thing for vacation time.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM
ophidia
Captain

It's -24 here right now. It also was this morning when I started my vehicle. I have no engine heater and it turned right over and started. I use 5W30 Mobil 1 and that's still surprisingly fluid at that temperature. The truck turns over at a decent speed as well. No funny noises (other than the belt going whiiirrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!).

I do need to get a pan heater on there but it didn't have one when I got it in Sept and I didn't think of doing it until it was too late.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

guys,

I'd seriously, and I mean seriously, be careful not so much with your engine oil, but your tranny oil. There are stories on this very forum of a cold snap that hit parts of the midwest that literally did turn the tranny fluid to a gel and FUSED parts of the tranny together due to friction heating. I believe the reported temp was -40*F but PLEASE check up on that fact.

I'd seriously pour some tranny fluid in a pan on the porch and check it in the morning before taking off. If it looks good, then I wouldn't fret.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
07gixxer600
Rookie

Ya, I would be more worryed about tranny also.

was *only* about 5 degrees here this morning, truck turned over really fast and started up as usual but I dident allow it any warm up time, just took off and I herd the tranny whining alittle bit... that **** gets thick.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM
ophidia
Captain

ugh, at -40 I'm going nowhere. Would idling in neutral help with the thick tranny fluid? I wish there was a way to make it pump fluid in park. Mine feels fine when I take off with it when it's -20 or so, but I'm very gentle with it until it warms up. I also let it idle for a good 10 minutes or so at that temp.

My favorite winter thing is when it's -20 and it's sitting out in the wind and blowing snow, and the rear brakes freeze. The wheels spin fine but it feels like you have no power brakes since you have to hit them so hard to stop. Stomping on them a couple of times breaks them free. I'm going to have to start carrying a hammer like my dad does for the big rig. Just give them a quick smack before rolling out.

Beauty.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 PM
07gixxer600
Rookie

Does anyone else notice in the cold that every little thing in the interior of the truck creeks and rattles... its drives me crazy!!!!!! mine is very quiet compared to alot of the 2nd gens ive been in, but in the cold its just rediculous.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
ophidia
Captain

And the seat is so hard that it feels like you're sitting on a board-- but it's a cloth seat! I miss the heated seats that my Passat had.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:42 PM
ophidia
Captain

-28* this morning and battery was frozen!!! W00T!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 PM
txredneckmedic
Rookie

woot! low of 24 this morning

Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
guys,

I'd seriously, and I mean seriously, be careful not so much with your engine oil, but your tranny oil. There are stories on this very forum of a cold snap that hit parts of the midwest that literally did turn the tranny fluid to a gel and FUSED parts of the tranny together due to friction heating. I believe the reported temp was -40*F but PLEASE check up on that fact.

I'd seriously pour some tranny fluid in a pan on the porch and check it in the morning before taking off. If it looks good, then I wouldn't fret.
Well, this isn't a problem for me yet, my tranny is still sitting empty. My case of trans fluid is nice and warm in the house. I swear one of these days that truck will be back on the road. Hopefully sooner (tommorow) rather than later.

Quick Reply: Oil thickness