2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex-TheDOGG
What's wrong with buying parts at the dealership? I do it all the time if the price is right. Sometimes the Mopar part is much better quality than anything you can get elsewhere. Hell, the only thing I buy at Autozone or Pepboys is oil, filters, various fluids, and car polish. Anything else from there is pure unadulterated crap. In my area, NAPA is the only aftermarket parts house I will go to for actual parts.

The parts at the Stealership are no different than those at NAPA, Autozone, or Pepboys. One has to be able to discern Quality from Kwality.

No he didn't. Read his quote. Why do you guys have such a hard-on for the dealership? Sometimes I'll take advice anywhere I can get it, even DF .
Hey, if you like overpaying for your parts, who are we to argue?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No he didn't. Read his quote. Why do you guys have such a hard-on for the dealership? Sometimes I'll take advice anywhere I can get it, even DF .
Ok, then I disagree with VW! Dealers are the best place to get parts!. But you can get them on eBay or online dealers(such as MOPAR.BIZ or DodgeParts.com) so you can have dealer parts without having to DEAL with the dealer.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
The parts at the Stealership are no different than those at NAPA, Autozone, or Pepboys. One has to be able to discern Quality from Kwality.
You think so? Go buy an AZ cap and rotor and then go buy a Mopar cap and rotor from the stealership for few dollars more, and then tell me that AZ chincadero garbage is the same.

Hey, if you like driving back and forth to AZ, Pepboys, et. al. to return crap parts, be my guest.

Last edited by Rex-TheDOGG; 01-15-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Ok, then I disagree with VW! Dealers are the best place to get parts!. But you can get them on eBay or online dealers(such as MOPAR.BIZ or DodgeParts.com) so you can have dealer parts without having to DEAL with the dealer.
You sure can, Purpl, but you'll also pay shipping, and if it's not the right part, you'll pay shipping again if you want to return it.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I often wonder the same. Had my brake fluid flush done there last week with no problems. When I mentioned I made an appointment at dodge, a few fed me the usual line about the stealership. Heck, VW tried to put words in my mouth. (facinating creatures on DF). OP, I wish luck with the cracked heads.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend

You think so? Go buy an AZ cap and rotor and then go buy a Mopar cap and rotor from the stealership for few dollars more, and then tell me that AZ chincadero garbage is the same.

Hey, if you like driving back and forth to AZ, Pepboys, et. al. to return crap parts, be my guest.
Yeah, you're nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake. I bought everything for the front of my truck through RockAuto -- (Moog)ball joints (upper/lower), (MOOG) tie-rod ends, pads, rotors, pitman arm, idler arm, front and rear shocks -- and with FedEx Ground shipping it was STILL cheaper than if I'd bought the lot from a local store MINUS the ball joints. Those same parts, from the dealership, would have run me much, much more.

How long have you been working on cars, a year

I'll tell you something, kid -- age and treachery will always trump youth and inexperience.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

That makes no sense. Take this into account. A factory original Mopar wheel bearing lasted me 140,000. An AutoZone, Dura$hit lasted me 10,000 miles. You tell me which one is better?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I often wonder the same. Had my brake fluid flush done there last week with no problems. When I mentioned I made an appointment at dodge, a few fed me the usual line about the stealership. Heck, VW tried to put words in my mouth. (facinating creatures on DF). OP, I wish luck with the cracked heads.
YOU stated that it was impossible for someone to perform a brake flush in his own garage without specialized tools, which many of is said is total BS. And, it is. But hey, if you're happy about paying Stealerships, be my guest. Just remember than writing a check is not the same as working on your truck.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Yeah, you're nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake. I bought everything for the front of my truck through RockAuto -- (Moog)ball joints (upper/lower), (MOOG) tie-rod ends, pads, rotors, pitman arm, idler arm, front and rear shocks -- and with FedEx Ground shipping it was STILL cheaper than if I'd bought the lot from a local store MINUS the ball joints. Those same parts, from the dealership, would have run me much, much more.

How long have you been working on cars, a year

I'll tell you something, kid -- age and treachery will always trump youth and inexperience.
At what mileage did you replace those parts you listed with the Moog parts? How many miles are on your truck now?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Gary-L
Legend

[QUOTE=PurplDodge;1513026]At what mileage did you replace those parts you listed with the Moog parts? 127,000 miles

How many miles are on your truck now?
172,800 miles.

Do you even know who MOOG is?

Quick Reply: Cylinder heads