2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a/c delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a/c delete?

i know with the srt-4's and some of the nicer performance cars, they make an a/c compressor delete kit. would it hurt anything to take that out. i never use it anyway, i always have the windows open and in the last two years i have never charged the system. i am just thinking of ways to stop straigning the motor before i really strt to make power, not to mention onep in front of my radiator up a little. and keep in mind this will be my trail/ fun truck.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can take the compressor out if you want, but you really are not saving anything by taking it out. Basically the weight of the compressor, and probably that black tank. I do know that the defrost and the ac are connected somehow so you may loose defrost. Back to what I was saying is it is basically pointless because it doesn't cause any drag as it is with the clutch isn't engaged on the compressor. Up to you what you want to do. Wish you luck.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

alright, well i kinda need the defrost, i am in a very icy state. and it sucks, but alright. anyone got any thing to fee up some power on these motors. i mean i know there dogs anyway but still, anything helps when you suck that bad

Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You won't lose defrost, the compressor cycles once in a while to help keep the a/c system oiled up in the off season and to help with condensation when on defrost setting. There are pulleys and bracket kits made to delete it , but a pulley is the same as having the clutch. So a better option is to just get a smaller belt that eliminates it totally. Since the compressor is not charged anyway and not working and you think the defrost is fine, then I would just get a smaller belt. Either way your not going to see any huge gain.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well i know it is not a big gian, or even anything i would feel at all. but the thing is, when the motor doesnt put ot that much power as it is, it is good to free up anything you can. not to mention, like i said, if i take the compressor out, the condensor can come out, which would give the radiator a littl bit more air flow.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
murdered93'kota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

i hav a 93 dak w/ a 5.2 and all i did to delete the ac was install the serp belt for the 5.2 w/o ac and then removed the ac parts. made a difference in gas mileage and cooling thats bout it tho and i havnt had n-e problems w/ the defrost accept for that my truk runs so cool that it doesnt rele get HOT but just warm inside and it takes longer for it to heat up now

Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
APA228
Professional

Back in the dark days before AC was common there were still defrosters on cars and trucks. The big difference with the AC running these days is that all windows are de-misted when in defrost mode. So, you can remove all the AC stuff and put on a non-AC belt and be fine. Of course when you need the defrost you will only clear the windshield and part of your door windows where the air hits them, not all glass will be cleared like you have now.
The additional air flow through the radiator will not be noticeable though, and weight savings will also be miniscule. Bottom line is do whatever you want to do, it is your truck.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 But I don't think his compressor is working anyway, so if he hasn't noticed any difference and every thing seems fine in his opinion, I say remove it completely and use a smaller belt.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 AM
biggreen2500
All Star

just my two cents. but i got a 2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4 360cid. when i did my heat core i just cut my ac lines and all the freon stuff leaked out but i removed my a/c condisor and compressor too and i have a smaller belt i did know it gets slightly better mpg i picked up maybe .5-1 mpg.

but mt truck warms up kinda slow but i windows deforst amazing i've never had any issue with it defrosting them in the winter time when its icy or snowy out...

if u don't use your ac or if its broken like mine was.. i'd recommend pulling it out. its not doing any good sitting on your motor IMO i think the less stuff u have on the motor is one less thing that gets in the way of you working on your own stuff

Old 10-30-2011, 02:31 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A three year old thread OK, freon should never be released into the atmosphere! Thats not good you should always have a shop discharge the system. I gained 2 mpg after air comp removal.

Quick Reply: a/c delete?