2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck runnin hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 PM
wesley11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing, so I replaced the water pump first because it was leaking. Ran the same.Then I replaced the radiator. Still no change. Put in a 180 t-stat and now it runs much cooler. I boiled the old t-stat and it would barely open. Boiled the new one to make sure and it opened correctly. I bought a murray t-stat and it came with a hole drilled for air to escape. I also put in a new fan clutch. All together about 300$ worth of parts and plenty of help from the guys on this site. Got a whole new cooling system. Try that at a shop for 300 bucks! I would check the t-stat again. boil it to make sure it is opening all the way. Mine would open enough to not over heat, but run hotter than it should have. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 AM
konstan
Amateur
Default status

Well, from reading several threads like this one, it looks like people jump straight to replacing water pumps, and frequently it does not help solve the problem... mine isn't leaking yet, so I have not replace it yet.

What I did do is hooked up the prestone flush tee and gave it a really good flush... will see what it does tomorrow.

Thanks you all guys for taking the time to share your experiences and your wisdom!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:35 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i boiled a couple diff 180 tstats on mine and flushed......

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM
konstan
Amateur

Originally Posted by konstan
.. will see what it does tomorrow.
Stayed right at 180 all the way to work but that does not really mean anything, it's a cool 60 degrees today here in Omaha, so no A/C and not 100 outside...

Quick Reply: truck runnin hot