2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 1500 Sport against Non Sport Model. Bumper question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe they do. Might want to do a quick search on here see if there is a post about it(I think there is I may be wrong). Welcome to the forum! Fill out your sig btw =)

Josh

Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
JediSky671
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion

Hey guys I was just wondering about this and made a thread.So what would I have to do to put a Sport bumper on my 98' non-Sport 1500?Are the mounts different?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 PM
helms
All Star

yes, the mounts are different. you can get an idea of what they look like by checking out LMC trucks website.

NON-sport
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=11

Sport
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=13

Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM
JediSky671
Rookie

Originally Posted by helms
yes, the mounts are different. you can get an idea of what they look like by checking out LMC trucks website.

NON-sport
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=11

Sport
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=13
You think it would be difficult to fabricate mounts to fit?I have the non-sport and like the sport look since mine is only a 4x2.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
I love the sport bumpers...was told there would be a mounting issue also? I'd love to take a sport bumper...paint it gray or black and put it on my truck...**** my bumper already messed up so why not?

What the work involved for me to do so?
I would love to get a NON-sport bumper. With the sport bumper I have right now I can't use it as a step to work on the engine (scratches the paint), I can't run through any weeds/brush (scratches the paint), I can't mount my plow on it, I can't get a grill gaurd, I can't mount any tow hooks, I can't get aftermarket headlights, and the list goes on...

I regret buying a sport model. Sure it may look pretty good, but it's a real pain in the butt most of the time.

End rant.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Trey318
Captain

Had I not gotten in a wreck, I would've gladly traded you a non sport setup to any of you guys lol

Old 01-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 360dodgeram360
it would definitely save on weight, those steel ones are very heavy. the sport one is quite a bit lighter.
I know this post is over a year old, but in case anyone was wondering I doubt there's much difference in weight between the two. The '99-up Sport has a metal sub-bumper and bracketing underneath the plastic exterior that probably weighs near or as much as the non-Sport's steel bumper.

Jedi, I merged your thread with this one since they are about the same subject. The '98 and earlier Sports are nothing more than a color-matched version of the same parts as the non-Sports. The '99-up Sports are a completely different front end including the grille and headlights. Underneath all that plastic is a very different mounting, sub-bumper and bracketing system. While you could conceivably change everything over to the later Sport hardware, it would probably be expensive. Since your truck is a '98 it might require some fab and frame drilling as the needed holes may not be present on your older truck. Of course, with the proper desire and money, anything can be accomplished.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 01-10-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
NXNotch

ok so if I am thinking right I can put a non-sport front bumper on a 1998 sport............is that right?...... I have a buddy that hit a deer and we are having a hard time finding a bumper to fit his.....if we can use a non-sport that would save some money.....

Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
The '98 and earlier Sports are nothing more than a color-matched version of the same parts as the non-Sports.
It's right there in my last post.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to Dodge Forum, NXNotch.

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Underneath all that plastic is a very different mounting, sub-bumper and bracketing system. While you could conceivably change everything over to the later Sport hardware, it would probably be expensive. Since your truck is a '98 it might require some fab and frame drilling as the needed holes may not be present on your older truck. Of course, with the proper desire and money, anything can be accomplished.
Thats the part of Miami's post that he refered to. Here are some diagrams, courtesy of LMC Truck, to illustrate the differences, right down to bolts and brackets...

Non-Sport (1994-2001) and Sport (1994-1998):

Sport (1999-2001):

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 Sport against Non Sport Model. Bumper question!