2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats a good sign if...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
The problem I ran into with my tires being overinflated was that the pressure from the tire was actually forcing the ball joints into an unatural negative camber position. I also have wheels that are spaced out about 2 inches from the body. I aired down my tires to 30 in the front, and 28 in the rear and have not had a wear issue since.

Since you still have the stock rims that aren't pushed out, perhaps this is not your problem. Also, check those cam bolts. Check both of them on the inside of the control arm. Mine were pointing opposite directions causing the front axle to be turned a little bit. Don't just check the cam bolts on the outside of the control arm because that side can strip and rotate independantly from the bolt head.

Although your less backspacing wheels can greatly effect the ball joints, I don't believe there is absolutely any way the tire pressure can. Weather you have 100 psi in the tires or 2 psi, the same load is on the ball joints.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

When I get in front of a real computer (I'm on my Blackberry), I'll post pics that I took of my truck to prove it.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
When I get in front of a real computer (I'm on my Blackberry), I'll post pics that I took of my truck to prove it.

Of what, your tire leaning?

All I'm saying is that a good ball joint that is not wore out will not wiggle/move at all... even if you have a zillion pounds of pressure in your tires.

Quick Reply: Whats a good sign if...