2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing chain refresher

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:39 AM
trucklover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex-TheDOGG
Your engine was correctly timed. Don't pull the disty! With cam 6:00 and crank 12:00, you are at #6 TDC. Turn the crank 1 rev clockwise and that's #1 TDC. If you aligned the marks (6:00 and 12:00) before you took it apart and moved nothing while it's apart, then install the chain set dot to dot like you took it off.
That's what I was wanting to know. Thanks!!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
trucklover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cranked her up this morning and there was a loud clicking knocking noise going on. One of the lifters must have bled down while I was working on it, becuse it all went away after I let it run. It took a couple of minutes to completely quieten down. The engine runs well, but I haven't driven it yet due to being sick from working on it this weekend. (Small price to pay to get the truck going!!) The double roller chain (Comp Cams brand) had a lot of slack in it compared to the Cloyes that I replaced it with. I got rid of the tentioner and now the engine revs a lot more freely. Maybe the mpg's will go up a little!!

Quick Reply: timing chain refresher