2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anybody switch to electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
PartsChaser
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing I've seen done (if you want to keep the stock fan) is to put it on the front of the condenser, and have it "push" instead of pull. That would give you the extra capacity you were searching for, and any 12''/14'' e-fan would work.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the pusher. it sounds like that is the route you need to go if you want to keep your old clutch fan on.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

im planning on doing this to my truck sometime or another....how would i tap a switch into it to kick on a a certain temp?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got the Flex-a-Lite 180, bought it at Moe's. Great mod, I noticed the truck takes off from a dead stop quicker. Also noticed a small mpg gain. For muddin' you can't beat it if you install the optional on/off switch on the dash, just flick it off when in the really deep stuff to keep from sucking stuff into the radiator fins.
Install was a snap, keeping the stock shroud. Hardest part by far is getting the parasitic clutch fan off...

Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

come on , how much will be lost by going to electric fan ? very small , i went this route to and didnt see nothing , as soon as the fans come on all will be lost cause of the draw from the electric fans , it will draw hard from the the alt. , the standard clutch fan will use 1 hp and even that its not like the clutch is ingage all the time , so the fan jus spins freely , the cost of electric fans , and what gain ?? 1 hp or .5 mpg better ..

Old 01-28-2009, 02:00 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
im planning on doing this to my truck sometime or another....how would i tap a switch into it to kick on a a certain temp?
the one i linked to has a relay with a temp probe that inserts between your radiator fins. you just have to take a few minutes and maybe a couple times to get it set where you like. the directions with the kit tell you how. the directions arent great but they are not too bad.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by padodgeram
come on , how much will be lost by going to electric fan ? very small , i went this route to and didnt see nothing , as soon as the fans come on all will be lost cause of the draw from the electric fans , it will draw hard from the the alt. , the standard clutch fan will use 1 hp and even that its not like the clutch is ingage all the time , so the fan jus spins freely , the cost of electric fans , and what gain ?? 1 hp or .5 mpg better ..
i did it at first to try to gain some hp. but after the install i thought that the motor never getting hot(100*+ with ac running setting still) and warming up quicker in the winter was well worth the install.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

alright......if i get junkyard fans do i keep my stock shroud or use the junkyard one?....im not lookin for huge power or anything like that, just want the bay to look more uncluttered and cooler a/c and engine stayin cooler

Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

didnt go that way so i am not for sure.

so just a bump for someone that maybe has.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got em, noticed a big difference. i have em wired to switches in the cab, so i can control when they come on and off.

simple installition, just removin the stock fan is a bitch. i got lucky and needed a water pump so i just pulled the water pump and fan together.

Quick Reply: anybody switch to electric fan?