2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anybody switch to electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i see you are the second one with the switch thing. seems kinda like a pain to have to worry about turning them on and off. now if you could have them on the relay so it turns off and on automatically and with a switch to be able to turn them on and off too,thats seems like a good idea.

Last edited by talon6; 01-29-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
PartsChaser
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not so bad really, to have them on a switch (just dont let your girlfriend/wife drive it without turning them on).

I went with 2 fans, and wired them seperately (2 switches in the cab) so I can have 0/1/2 fans spinning depending on need. I got lucky as well, and needed a water pump when I did mine, so I got a new one without the nut on the front, looks fairly slick, lots more room to work on the front of the motor now.

Everyone has their own preference, this one happened to really work well for me, and it cured the issues I had been seeing with overheating, poor AC performance, etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by padodgeram
come on , how much will be lost by going to electric fan ? very small , i went this route to and didnt see nothing , as soon as the fans come on all will be lost cause of the draw from the electric fans , it will draw hard from the the alt. , the standard clutch fan will use 1 hp and even that its not like the clutch is ingage all the time , so the fan jus spins freely , the cost of electric fans , and what gain ?? 1 hp or .5 mpg better ..
A clutch fan is always spinning with the engine, the only thing that varies is the speed. In addition to the drag from the clutch there is drag from the wind resistance of the fan. Why do you think small and mid-size cars are using electric fans now? Because they do provide noticeable power and economy gains well beyond any losses due to increased alternator requirements, which are minimal BTW.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 PM
ztomtog2

I picked up a dual cooling fan setup from a parts yard that came of a Lincoln navigator i think it was. picked up a controler for it at o Reillys and made my own mounting brackets out of metal. took me about 2 hrs to completely install and i didnt notice a whole lot of difference. but it does rev up slightly faster and i feel better having it. i also put like a manual override switch so i can turn it on whenever i want to. lemme know if you have any questions.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 AM
WhisperBark

I bought my electric fan from Pep Boys when I lived in Arizona. I was able to fit the electric fan between the radiator and the stock fan. I had to slightly modify the fan shroud to fit around them both - notched the bottom of the shroud to fit around the fan motor. I have a switch in the cab of the truck so when the temp starts to get hot, I can turn it on. Also, in the summer, I was able to enjoy almost instant cold A/C.

A word of caution: Don't forget to turn your fan off when you are finished driving. I have had a few dead batteries because of my forgetfullness.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:08 AM
dodgiee
Rookie

I haven't switch to electric fan yet, but thanks for all the feedback here.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
joekool4
Professional

Originally Posted by WhisperBark
A word of caution: Don't forget to turn your fan off when you are finished driving. I have had a few dead batteries because of my forgetfullness.
You can always wire it after the ignition switch. I'm planning on wiring my fog lights into the corner lights so i only have to use the one switch.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joekool4
You can always wire it after the ignition switch. I'm planning on wiring my fog lights into the corner lights so i only have to use the one switch.
A little old of a thread to be replying to, no?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noob's...what more can I say?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:46 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hes been on longer than you have

Quick Reply: anybody switch to electric fan?