2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 1500 fuel rail problem PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:41 PM
kanner1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 1500 fuel rail problem PLEASE HELP!!!!

Someone help before I shoot myself! Got a 97 Ram 1500 5.2 2 wheel drive. Died on me yesterday. After some trouble shooting I believed it was the fuel pump.

Changed the fuel pump today, and reinstalled the fuel line into the fuel rail (got the big yellow metal clip style). Went to go start the car and it leaks/sprays like crazy from that spot where the line goes into the rail. Pulled it out and reinstalled it 5x"s and does the same thing.

Few questions, how many O rings go on the fuel line/rail intersection there 1 or 2. It seems that when I pulled the fuel line out originally there was one on the line and another popped out of the rail itself. Just seems like I only see where one of them goes. This never leaked before. Does anyone have a blown up diagram of that area?

Also yesterday the truck turned over fine, battery was good. took off both battery cables while I changed everything-overnight. Put them all back on today, cleaned the terminals and added some water to the cells...2 were kinda low. Went to start, it the sucker is dead. got enuff power to power the fuel pump and show me my new leak but not enuff to turn the motor over. What gives...Im goin crazy!

PLEASE HELP!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are no O-rings where the fuel line clips to the fuel rail, there is only a quick connect (or quick disconnect, whichever you call it) fitting and a keeper on the outside.

10 to 1 you either damaged the flange on the fuel rail (you will need a new rail) or you damaged the quick connect fitting (you can get a new one at NAPA or some other parts store. IIRC the fuel line has a permanent crimp that you'l have ot cut off and attach a new quick connect fitting.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
kanner1
Default I think mine is different

I think i know what you are talking about. I know I have the quick connect type back at the fuel tank-pump.

Now at the intake mine is different than the tank side. Yes there is a metal line, that is held into the fuel rail by a large yellow metal clip that slides into a slot from the top after the line is slid into the rail then clicks into place. To remove it you must squeeze the bottom prongs together that protrude out then pry it from the top with a screwdriver. It always had a O ring.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

The metal clip is not designed to hold the fuel line on the fuel rail, only to keep the quick connect fitting from accidentally letting go. Pop that clip back off and shove that fuel line onto the rail until you hear a click. Then put the safety clip back on.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
kanner1
Default clip

Please dont take this the wrong way cuz i do not doubt your expertise in this area. However I know the push on clip that you are talking about and mine is 100% not it. I have been poking around the net looking at some old posts & stuff and it seems that the plastic rails with single lines (no return line & no regulator i think) from 97 & 98's use the slide in O ring line with the clip i am speaking of.

I just wish I could find a blow up diagram or someone who has seen or has the same rail/line system to tell me about the o rings.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Take a pic and post it up. I thought the fuel lines were all the same, maybe they weren't.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 PM
kanner1
Default ok

You got it, just took a couple with my phone. I will upload them in about an hour after the kiddies go to bed!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
kanner1
Default Pics

First time I have put a pic on here. Files are too big it would only let me load one pix. I think I attached it here, hope it shows up. If you send me your email I can email you others.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails 97 1500 fuel rail problem PLEASE HELP!!!!-img00084.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Man that's weird, I've never seen one like that.

As far as O rings go here's a web site that sells the Fuel Rail O-ring kit:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

select dodge>1997>pickup1500>5.2mpi (not CNG)>fuel and then you'll see the fuel rail o-ring kit

You could probably get it at the parts store too or the dealer for not too much. Don't just use any old O-rings, they need to be made of Viton so they don't break down in the gasoline.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 01-29-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:42 PM
NathanG0802
Default This is the fix!!!!

Originally Posted by kanner1
Someone help before I shoot myself! Got a 97 Ram 1500 5.2 2 wheel drive. Died on me yesterday. After some trouble shooting I believed it was the fuel pump.

Changed the fuel pump today, and reinstalled the fuel line into the fuel rail (got the big yellow metal clip style). Went to go start the car and it leaks/sprays like crazy from that spot where the line goes into the rail. Pulled it out and reinstalled it 5x"s and does the same thing.

Few questions, how many O rings go on the fuel line/rail intersection there 1 or 2. It seems that when I pulled the fuel line out originally there was one on the line and another popped out of the rail itself. Just seems like I only see where one of them goes. This never leaked before. Does anyone have a blown up diagram of that area?

Also yesterday the truck turned over fine, battery was good. took off both battery cables while I changed everything-overnight. Put them all back on today, cleaned the terminals and added some water to the cells...2 were kinda low. Went to start, it the sucker is dead. got enuff power to power the fuel pump and show me my new leak but not enuff to turn the motor over. What gives...Im goin crazy!

No leaks pulled old one from.pull apart and this is exactly how it goes. No part store.coukd.help or find it.

PLEASE HELP!
I changed plenum gasket and had this problem puttong back together.

Quick Reply: 97 1500 fuel rail problem PLEASE HELP!!!!