2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Viper Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:34 PM
notanexit7
|
Captain
Default Viper Transmission

has anyone seen this

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

I was lookin at the first one. Would this help with the crappy stock transmissions?? I'm not having problems with mine right now but maybe when it does need fixing, this could be an option.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:43 PM
transguy37
Professional

Hello,

Those could be an option, just be carful what you buy. If your local tranny shop knows what they are doing, they can build one just as good.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:50 PM
notanexit7
|
Captain

ok thanks i'll look into it when the time comes. I heard most transmission shops, if they know what their doing, can rebuild a tranny and it be better than when you bought new with the truck. Learned that from a friend of mine who works for aamco so idk if it's true or not.

Old 02-03-2009 | 09:50 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Its all a money game. Transmission rebuilding is a business, what do business's try to do? Make money.

Just like any other business, some are honest, some are crooks and some have no idea what they are doing. Its just very difficult sometimes for a consumer to figure out who is who, especially because most of the crooks and idiots are also good actors.

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:28 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I'm actually purchasing the the Mega Viper from these guys. I don't trust APS trans or
Dr. Evil and I've heard some good things about PATC. Had my mechanic run over the
details and he thought that although it was a lot of money it looked like they were using
good components. When I actually get some time off during the day to call them it'll
finally be ordered.

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:40 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xskylinedx
I'm actually purchasing the the Mega Viper from these guys. I don't trust APS trans or
Dr. Evil and I've heard some good things about PATC. Had my mechanic run over the
details and he thought that although it was a lot of money it looked like they were using
good components. When I actually get some time off during the day to call them it'll
finally be ordered.
what kind of stall speed are you going to get?

Old 02-03-2009 | 02:24 PM
notanexit7
|
Captain

finally be ordered.

Wow, i think the mega viper is a little extreme for my kind of application but who did you take it to to have them look it over? Your local mechanic maybe? And where could you take it once oredered to be installed? It looks extremely well built to me and I think it would be a great upgrade over my stock 46re.

Old 02-03-2009 | 02:30 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by notanexit7
Wow, i think the mega viper is a little extreme for my kind of application but who did you take it to to have them look it over? Your local mechanic maybe? And where could you take it once oredered to be installed? It looks extremely well built to me and I think it would be a great upgrade over my stock 46re.
Its all application dependent. I'm running some boost (check my garage) and I plan on
doing a cam swap along with heads and rr. I should be in the 475 ft-lb torque range from
the engine (not the wheels). I want a transmission that can take some abuse. I had my
local mechanic look it over. He's been into mopars for a LONG time, he used to rebuild
these transmissions but got sick of doing it. I will be having the transmission shipped to
him directly for the install. I will either be going with a 1600 stall or a 2000 depending on
the TC I get. I'm leaning more tword the 1600 though.

Old 02-03-2009 | 02:31 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Printed out the parts list of the Ramzilla stgIV kit & took it to my trans guy. Got most of it except the 5:1 lever & intermediate shaft. Got a stronger pump & the B&M race shift kit instead of the Fairbanks they suggested. The extra clutches, stronger bands, sun shell, all 6gr planets manual valve body etc etc etc were all added. Havent run it yet so not sure how good it is. Ive got a Precision Industries Viper 3800stall 9.5" tc also(nothing to do with PATC). Already had deep pan & gauge, twin coolers so hopefully should last a while when I get the 408/Procharger up n running finally.

Last edited by RM_Indy; 02-03-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2009 | 02:43 PM
notanexit7
|
Captain

Its all application dependent. I'm running some boost (check my garage) and I plan on
doing a cam swap along with heads and rr. I should be in the 475 ft-lb torque range from
the engine (not the wheels). I want a transmission that can take some abuse. I had my
local mechanic look it over. He's been into mopars for a LONG time, he used to rebuild
these transmissions but got sick of doing it. I will be having the transmission shipped to
him directly for the install. I will either be going with a 1600 stall or a 2000 depending on
the TC I get. I'm leaning more tword the 1600 though.

Nice setup. Does the truck have to be supercharged, i see some of you guys lookin at this thread have supercharged trucks. I just want something thats gonna last me another 200k miles which is what I have on my tranny now and i'm afraid I wont have the same luck with it whenever it decides to quit.

Quick Reply: Viper Transmission