2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Advice on Trans(?) problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Ram2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Trans(?) problem

I need some advice before I head to the repair shop in town on what to do with my 2000 Ram 1500, 5.9L w/ Auto Trans and 92k miles.

While leaving town today I could not get my truck to shift into overdrive. It was cold, 10 below or so but it shifted just fine through town but when I hit the interstate I could not get it to shift into OD. I had to make the 50 mile trip going about 65. I kept it around 2500rpm and never got it to shift at all.

When I got to my destination I checked the fluid levels and it was within the hash marks and looked pinkish/red and smelled OK. I did have the filter and fluid replaced at 77k when I bought it.

I got to my destination and parked it for a couple of hours. Upon leaving, I hit the interstate again and it shifted through all gears, including overdrive, just fine.

I have been noticing a high-pitched whine from what I thougth was the heater when I hit 1600 RPM's or so for the past couple of months, nothing too serious. After reading the forums it sounds like it could be the rear end or the transmission, I am leaning towards the transmission but am doing some more research here on the boards to be sure.

My question to you all is, what kind of troubleshooting things can I try to single out what is wrong? I really cannot afford a new/rebuilt trans and need to make this last as long as I can.

Better yet, what would your guess be as to what is wrong? What should I ask the shop to check for? Should I sell it while it is still working for a discounted price?

I could not imagine having to put in a trans at 92k miles, I have never pulled anything or done any offroading or hotrodding. It is just a truck I take to the lake and drive my dog around in. The worst thing is that I have to make a 5 hour trip over the holiday weekend and need something that I know is going to be reliable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Chad

Last edited by Ram2000; 02-03-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The transmission will not shift into overdrive unless the fluid is over 50F.

The temp resistor might be breaking down and causing the temperature required to be higher than 50F.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 AM
honda250r10

what your experiencing is normal... if you read your manual.. it will say the tranny will not go into over drive untill the engine is atleast 180F mine does the exact same thing when its very cold out its just the tranny not getting warm enouph

Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 AM
transguy37
Professional

I would have someone to check the governor pressure sensor, it also acts as a temp sensor. This is not normal, 50 mile trip in 3rd gear, I would say it got warm enough. That's where I would start.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Ram2000

Thanks for all of the help and ideas. I will bring it to the shop in town here and see what they can find out for me.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Trans(?) problem