2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! Transmission stuck in 4th

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 AM
1994ram1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i am assuming my half ton has a nv3500?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

until montec chirps back in, I would call a local Dodge dealer and have the VIN ran.
When I first got on here I really had no idea what was on my truck. I called a local dealer and they ran the VIN and printed out for me for free. Its a nice reference sheet from time to time.
I know there is a site around that you can go to that has a break down on the vin, but It was just easier to me to have it ran by a dealer.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Yes it should be the NV3500. The 4500 was put behind the cummins, V10, and a few select 5.9 3/4tons.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transguy37
MonteC, just a straight question. Your'e not one of these builders on a power trip are you? Every tech I know in this field knows, that on a NV2500 and 3500, you can use regular ATF. Same with a T5, T45, and T56. Now the NV4500,5600,ZF5 and ZF6, I would use the synthetic fluid because they are so huge and generate alot more heat. I'm just wondering, no disrespect intended. Like I said though, everybody has their opinion, I'mm not saying you are wrong by no means.

Power trip? No. I just like using the correct fluid. Yeah every tech knows they CAN use ATF, just like every tech knows you CAN put dextron 3 in a late model chrysler. Just because you can do something doesnt mean you should.

Im not on this forum to give sub par advice, if im going to give advice im going to give the most correct advice i can.

The type of fluid insnt dependent on heat, the manufacturer recommends using Syncromesh because it was designed to work with the new paper lined rings used in many of the newer transmissions. If a manufacturer recommends using a certain type of fluid, you better believe im going to use the right fluid.

You never told me what part of NC you were from.

Last edited by MonteC; 02-05-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 1994ram1500
so i am assuming my half ton has a nv3500?

All aluminum case = NV3500

Cast Iron case = NV4500

Old 02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
transguy37
Professional

OK, Like I said, no insult intended. I know where you are coming from now. I just know people read or hear what the dealer say, make it gold and run away with it. I'm going from experience, some things work and some things don't. If I know something works and I can save somebody money, that's what I'm going to do. The dealers are already trying to make it where everything comes back to them anyway. The only reason I said power trip is that, I've seen many builders come and go through the years. Several of them could have been good, but they would learn a little bit and off they go. They think well I'm a builder now nobody can touch me and what I say goes. I've been in for 12 yrs now, I've built everything from a Slimjim to 06 honda Civics, 05 VW's, 04 BMW's and so on. I still have to call the tech line and ask question. I'm not to proud too. If i'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I just wanted to see where you were coming from. Oh, I posted in the 46RE shift kit area, I'm not the one who used a but connector on the line bias valve. I am 2 hrs east of relaigh in statesville. I'm glad you fixed the guy up with the 700, he got ripped.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by transguy37
OK, Like I said, no insult intended. I know where you are coming from now. I just know people read or hear what the dealer say, make it gold and run away with it. I'm going from experience, some things work and some things don't. If I know something works and I can save somebody money, that's what I'm going to do. The dealers are already trying to make it where everything comes back to them anyway. The only reason I said power trip is that, I've seen many builders come and go through the years. Several of them could have been good, but they would learn a little bit and off they go. They think well I'm a builder now nobody can touch me and what I say goes. I've been in for 12 yrs now, I've built everything from a Slimjim to 06 honda Civics, 05 VW's, 04 BMW's and so on. I still have to call the tech line and ask question. I'm not to proud too. If i'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I just wanted to see where you were coming from. Oh, I posted in the 46RE shift kit area, I'm not the one who used a but connector on the line bias valve. I am 2 hrs east of relaigh in statesville. I'm glad you fixed the guy up with the 700, he got ripped.

Wasnt saying you were that guy. My father in law lives in Kannapolis and knows the local transmission guy up there, Bench Built Transmissions.

I still make mistakes, and get stumped on things, so does everyone else. Ive had transmissions whoop my ***, it happens.

Its just that if im going to take time out of my day to post up tech information, im going to post the most accuracte information i know. Especially for people who are not in the field. For you and me, people that know the short cuts and know how to properly do these short cuts they work great. But if you start spouting off short cuts to someone who has no experience with transmissions or automotive in general they can screw up real fast when they try to do these short cuts.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Btw i got a speeding ticket last time i drove though statesville. You wouldnt happen to know a guy would you? LOL!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:20 PM
transguy37
Professional

LOL We fix papers for people who get speeding tickets so they show mechanical failures. Works really good. You going to ba at ATRA siminar in Charlotte tomarrow?

Quick Reply: HELP! Transmission stuck in 4th