2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N or AEM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Gomer03
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do they gotta be so expensive....?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

ill bet you could actually fabricate a whole on that s&b intake for that other intake tube from the front, dont you think?? I think it would be pretty neat to try, someone should, and Jason is right guys, both viper and purpl, both of you were involved in an argument that was near pointless really, It all comes up to preference if you read that site you came up with, its not down to, "what I say is better is better" even that site you brought into it viper said its a sacrifice, airflow for protection and protection for airflow. If you want the filter with the highest airflow go with k&n, if you want the filter with the best protection go with the acdelco, if you want one thats right inbetween where you are sacrificing some of each go with the afe or something like that. We all kind of get tired of seeing pointless arguments coming up in every thread that is asking for an opinion that suddenly turn into wars as to whose opinion is really better, honestly, voice your opinion, let the person who wanted to know judge for themselves whether or not they like your idea or someone elses more.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Viper37
Banned

I have basis for saying K&N filters are crap.

During the Cedar Fires in 2005 I helped the City of Poway w/ Emergency Operations. My CO gave me emergency leave to go help my home town.

My Ranger had a K&N, my Ram had at the time its OEM air filter.

I drove both in extremely close proximity to the fire, and had the vehicle parked within 100 yards multiple times.

After the fire was all over, I changed both filters in both trucks.

In my Ranger with the pretty new K&N, the entire MAF sensor, intake tube, and throttle body was black. Covered with ash and soot.

In the Ram, the throttle body and air box above the OEM Cheapo filter was *******ly dust free. (Why in the hell is the word V1rtually censored?)

That is what I'm basing my opinion on.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like my k&n i think i paid 250 with free shipping. It sounds good. I have never ran an ame so i dont know how they are.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Viper37
Banned

$250 for an Air Filter system!

Holy cow that's expensive.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nah nah the hole thing this is what i got.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=57-1511-2

Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Kraiger
Veteran

I have run both K&n and AEM. Currently i am running an AEM and it is the same set up as a K&N just insted of going behind the headlight like K&N does. AEM takes from where the factory air box goen into the passenger side fender. Both have a filter box and I live my AEM over K&N because of less cleaning and no oil will get on the Sensors. Which does happend because ive replaced them.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Honestly, I don't think any of these intakes work much. I've tried them all.

I ran the K&N FIPK kit.
I ran the 14x3 Airhat with a K&N filter.
And now, I am running the volant intake kit with the air scoop.

The only time I notice any power gains with the intake, is at full throttle, which is never these days.

The only time I notice an mpg increase, is when I'm on the highway where the airscoop can actually be effective.

Am I glad I have an intake? Yes. I would have still wanted one if I didn't have one. It does perform "slightly" better than stock, but for $365 for a piece of plastic and a filter, that's a rip off. If I had to pick one, I'd still go with the volant because it saves space and atleast draws air from where the stock airbox does. Overall though, the headers and exhaust is what opened my truck up the most out of what I have done.

If you want power off the line, a gear change seems to be the best option in my opinion. The only reason my truck goes well is because of the 4.10 gearing.

Last edited by 05DodgeRamHemi; 02-05-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Its still a matter of opinion was my point to viper, yes, the K&N might get dirty a lot faster, but some people are willing to sacrifice the time to keep it clean for that little bit of extra performance, and that site the viper brought up proved that k&n has the best flow out of all the brands tested, so if he was trying to make a point out of that site, he made a very bad one because he proved that the k&n is the best flowing filter, now if what you want is a filter that you dont have to mess with until the end of time, then sure, go with the acdelco, Im not telling anyone what to run, I just want the point made that the fighting is without basis, and purpl, you werent right either, the point of what Im saying is that I am getting real tired of listening to people TELLING other people what they should and shouldnt like, trying to convince them that their views are so much better than anyone elses, because honestly, you are just another dodge owner with about as much knowledge as half the other people in here, because the truly knowledgable dodge owners in here like rmindy dont try to tell people how much better their decision is, they give alternatives and options. Honestly, I run a 14X3, why, I like it, does it necessarily make my truck any faster than yours, I dont know, and honestly, I dont give a rats a**, I like the look, and sound of it, So stop trying to force your opinion onto others, you notice how the two of you(viper and purpl)are in more arguments on this site than anyone else???? it gets old.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I put Viper on my Ignore list so I can't see his posts. No I just don't care. Lesson learned.