2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tie rod questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
rich_kildow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod questions

'98 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 360. Got an estimate today to know what I needed to replace for front end parts, and I need all 4 ball joints, along with left outer tie rod and left inner tie rod. I'm not quite sure which parts of the tie rod system these are, so I'm hoping somebody can help me out. Just so we're speaking the same language, my understanding of the Ram's steering system is:

1) Pitman arm
2) Inner tie rod end (is this left or right)
3) adjusting sleeve
4) drag link
5) large crossover tie rod connected to pass knuckle
6) adjusting sleeve at driver knuckle
7) left (outer?) tie rod end

so it sounds like I need 7) at the driver side knuckle, and then which part is the left inner tie rod? The connecting rod from knuckle to knuckle? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

huh, mine is different, i have the Drag Link off of the Pitman arm which, the other end is connected to my right side knuckle and a tie rod that connects to the left side knuckle, the other end of that connects to the Drag Link about a foot from the end of it

Old 02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The left inner is the long one that goes to the pass. side and connects to the drag link,which goes to the steering box.The left inner is also the one that had the steering stabilizer connected to it.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
rich_kildow

That's exactly what I needed. The guy looked at me funny when I mentioned the drag link, but I thought I at least half new what I was talking about.

Quick Reply: Tie rod questions