2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sonnax Sure cure and Transgo ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Transguy,

So are you saying that I shouldn't have to pull the VB out of the truck, or shouldn't have to pull it apart once it's out?

Also, I noticed that about the only thing different between the Sure Cure instructions and the Transgo instructions were a few holes opened up on the Transgo kit that were not mentioned in the Sonnax kit. Would it be possible to open them up for better shifts? Or, are the Transgo valves specifically designed to accomodate those increased flow holes, and I would basically FUBAR the valve body by trying it with the Sonnax kit?

Kit came in the mail today so I'm thinking about installing it this weekend. Got a good estimated timeframe for a nOOb to VB's that can at least turn a wrench?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck aim, take alots and alots of pic's

Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 PM
transguy37
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, we have been really busy at the shop, I've been working late. Yes you have to pull the VB out of the truck either way you go. With the Sure Cure, you don't have to take the VB completely apart. With the Transgo you do, so you can drill the holes. You can drill the holes if you want to, it's up to you. It will improve your shifts, but I wouldn't drill them no more than one drill size bigger than the hole already is. Time frame I'm gonna guess about a full day for someone who hasn't done it before. That's pulling the VB out of the truck, doing the shift kit and putting it back in. Hope this helps, I will try to keep better check on the forum.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transguy37
Sorry, we have been really busy at the shop, I've been working late. Yes you have to pull the VB out of the truck either way you go. With the Sure Cure, you don't have to take the VB completely apart. With the Transgo you do, so you can drill the holes. You can drill the holes if you want to, it's up to you. It will improve your shifts, but I wouldn't drill them no more than one drill size bigger than the hole already is. Time frame I'm gonna guess about a full day for someone who hasn't done it before. That's pulling the VB out of the truck, doing the shift kit and putting it back in. Hope this helps, I will try to keep better check on the forum.

You need to modify the separator plate in the sure cure kit for the TCC valve. I believe its a .042" hole and open up the exhaust slot to at least .350".

Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 PM
transguy37
Professional

Yep, you are right MonteC, or you could buy the superior TCC plate, part # KO65. It has the bigger hole in it already and holds the spring better than the U shape bracket, it likes to break.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Yes I had seen that in the Sonnax directions. they recommended .350-.400" (so basically 3/8" = .375 right in the middle) for the gassers and I believe up to .500 for the diesels.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:06 AM
gipperkid
Veteran

Originally Posted by transguy37
"One thing I wish Sonnax would address is the TCC boost clip, it breaks. Superior has the fix for it with a new bolt down plate. This is just my opinion though."
So the clip in the Sonnax kit, does this break because it is fragile, or will break over time? Are the Sonnax and Superior basically the same or would it do good the buy the Superior kit just for the bolt down plate?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

No, Sonnax doesn't have a TCC boost clip replacement in their kit. You re-use the stocker clip. Superior makes a replacement that is better. K065. that's a zero, not an Oh.

Superior makes a performance shift kit under the Fairbanks name, however, I'm not sure exactly how much difference there is between whats in the Sonnax kit and what's in others' shift kits. Spring pressures could be different, but it mostly looks like you're just drilling out some holes in the plate to allow some more flow, otherwise the valves are similar.

I wish I had access to multiple kits to compare, but I don't so...

Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
gipperkid
Veteran

It seems the Sonnax would be better since the valve body doesn't have to be opened. But is better to open up the required holes that Transgo recommends since the VB is already out? I find it difficult taking a drill to the main component of the transmission. LOL!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 AM
froesen
Professional

Curious, have any of you trans guys ever used an SMR kit? When I built my trans I got their sportsman kit, a "HD" TC, and their shift kit. Was quite happy with it. Biggest reason I went with their stuff is they're in canada, can be pricey to ship stuff like that accross the border and whatnot, and I'd heard good things about their tranny's from a few guys. From what I remember about the shift kit it was supposed to fix a lot of the problems....wish I still had the instructions, it detailed exactly what each modification/step was supposed to accomplish. http://www.smrtrans.com/

Quick Reply: Sonnax Sure cure and Transgo ?'s