2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System
Print Wikipost

Two ECT Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:57 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my truck it looks like you can get to it with an extension, if you rtruck did have the single wire sensor it would be here behind the alternator

heres the 2 wire with the top bracket off

Old 02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Acapalic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dont take off ur ac, I did it by removing my waterneck outlet and then , since i was replacing the sensor, i broke the tip off to get a socket and a ratchet on it. when i put the new one in i tightened it with a wrench.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
foolgladly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe it's 5:30, the sun's going down, and I've accomplished nothing.

Dakotas_ram, thanks for posting those pictures. I've got the two-wire sensor where you're showing the one-wire, and I can see down to the spot where you've got the two-wire sensor, and I don't have one there.

My Haynes is showing it right where yours is. It doesn't seem like I should have to pull the A/C (thanks for the stop, Acapalic,) OR the water neck based on that photo and the book, and I'm starting to feel like I'm on a wild goose chase here.

Here's my problem, though. I got the part from Advance, and their computer listed the part specifically for the 1998 with the 5.2l. The dealer tech I spoke with said it should be there as well. Is there any chance, knowing those two things, that I don't have one? And if I don't, why is it still throwing that code and why is the temperature gauge still bottomed out?

Sorry to continue the confusion, and thanks again for sticking with me on this.

Last edited by foolgladly; 02-10-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Acapalic
Professional

Ok im going outside to take a picture of the spots where they are right now. at night so deal with me a second

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
foolgladly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acapalic, I seriously can't thank you enough. If you haven't gone out yet, you really don't have to. I'm 98% sure now that your 1996 has two while my 1998 has only the one. I can't be completely certain, as I'm finding all sorts of different information all over.

However, I'm going to run out and pull the voltage off my sensor and report back quick.

You're the greatest.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Acapalic
Professional

Included are picture locations with text pinpoiting the 2. One is the sender one is the SENSOR.

Attached Thumbnails Two ECT Sensors?-edited.jpg   Two ECT Sensors?-edited1.jpg   Two ECT Sensors?-edited2.jpg  
Old 02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Acapalic
Professional

Originally Posted by foolgladly
Acapalic, I seriously can't thank you enough. If you haven't gone out yet, you really don't have to. I'm 98% sure now that your 1996 has two while my 1998 has only the one. I can't be completely certain, as I'm finding all sorts of different information all over.

However, I'm going to run out and pull the voltage off my sensor and report back quick.

You're the greatest.
Dude its no problem, These trucks are great trucks and deserved to be driven and not your head banged against the wall.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Acapalic
Professional

Your reporting No sesnor behind the air conditiong correct? And the two wire is on the left where the sender is supposed to go. Hum, I think you might be missing one? Is your gauge operational? Can u see down into that area well enough? Is there a hole there? I wonder if it might have been blocked and the sensor got moved to the wrong spot. If your dealer is saying that you have two. If your supposed to have one , shouldnt it be a three wire connector? Time to do a quick research , ill be back with my findings

Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor in the top of the intake manifold, not an ECT "sender" (the second pic.) That has nothing to do with engine coolant, it monitors the temperature of the incoming air charge so the PCM knows how much fuel to throw into the cylinders based on data from it and the MAP sensor. you can get a new one for $20-30 at the part store

Parts stores also call it an Air Charge Sensor. If you ask for an ECT sender, they'll probably throw a coolant temp sensor at you which is a little brass probe with a 1/8 NPT thread around it. That's down low in the water jacket behind the Alternator. about $20 on the high retail side at the parts store.

There is no sensor behind the AC for him.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Acapalic
Professional

I never pointed to the Intake air temp sender on the side of the intake manifold in the Number 1 runner.

EDIT: The resize of the photos lost my arrows

Quick Reply: Two ECT Sensors?