2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System
Print Wikipost

Two ECT Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Acapalic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foolgladly
Is there any chance, knowing those two things, that I don't have one? And if I don't, why is it still throwing that code and why is the temperature gauge still bottomed out?

Sorry to continue the confusion, and thanks again for sticking with me on this.
RIGHT THERE , your missing ur SENDER , Your sensor is in the wrong place. The correct hole for the sensor is probally gumed up, Try probing it with a long screwdriver to see if a hole appears. That would be for the Sensor.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
foolgladly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again, Acapalic. Truly over and above.

So, I am indeed reporting no sensor behind the A/C. I've got a clean look at the same location yours is in, and there's nothing there.

I'm with ya, I also thought there might have been a switch done in error at some point, but the connector is two wires, and it wouldn't reach to where your two-wire sensor is. This is all leading me to believe that in 1998, there was in fact only one, with two wires. And yes, the dealer says two, but it's just not possible from where I'm sitting (kneeling on the bumper is more accurate).

My gauge is NOT working (though it does temporarily bounce to life on starting the truck), and I'm now thinking the sensor that I put in it last week is bad. Like an idiot, I didn't test it (I'm very inexperienced, electrical-wise) before I started in on this craziness. The code P0118, is for ECT Voltage High. However, unless I'm not doing the test properly, the sensor's not kicking out ANY voltage whatsoever.

I'm still not resting until I solve the mystery of the proper number of sensors/senders in this model, but I'm beginning to wonder whether or not that's the actual issue.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 PM
foolgladly

We crossed there. Would the connector for the SENDER (which has one post) have two wires? 'Cause like I said, there's no way that connector's reaching any farther towards the driver's side.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Acapalic
Professional

Thanks again, Acapalic. Truly over and above.

So, I am indeed reporting no sensor behind the A/C. I've got a clean look at the same location yours is in, and there's nothing there.

I'm with ya, I also thought there might have been a switch done in error at some point, but the connector is two wires, and it wouldn't reach to where your two-wire sensor is. This is all leading me to believe that in 1998, there was in fact only one, with two wires. And yes, the dealer says two, but it's just not possible from where I'm sitting (kneeling on the bumper is more accurate).

My gauge is NOT working (though it does temporarily bounce to life on starting the truck), and I'm now thinking the sensor that I put in it last week is bad. Like an idiot, I didn't test it (I'm very inexperienced, electrical-wise) before I started in on this craziness. The code P0118, is for ECT Voltage High. However, unless I'm not doing the test properly, the sensor's not kicking out ANY voltage whatsoever.

I'm still not resting until I solve the mystery of the proper number of sensors/senders in this model, but I'm beginning to wonder whether or not that's the actual issue.
Nah the sensor wouldnt kick out voltage, but if u could check whats going into it. Should be 5 volts in , then the sensor COLD should send back(I THINK) less , and as it warms up send 5. Bounces to life at start , then dies? or does it work for a little then die?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Acapalic
Professional

We crossed there. Would the connector for the SENDER (which has one post) have two wires? 'Cause like I said, there's no way that connector's reaching any farther towards the driver's side.
I dont think so, I know mine was 1 wire for sender and 2 for sensor. What color wires are going into the sensor you do have, from there we can figure out what circuit that is actually going to, hopefully we can make some progress.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 PM
foolgladly

Ah. Thanks for the explanation on that. I can check if it's getting voltage in a sec.

By "bounces to life," I meant that it comes up from it's buried-low position when the truck's off, rising fast like the rest of the gauges to the lowest mark of the middle arc (you know, say 150), then drifts back down to 130 and sits, never to move again until the truck gets shut off. Or, shuts herself off as she's become so fond of.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 PM
foolgladly

This is from memory here, but I'm almost positive it's a white wire with a black stripe and a blue wire with a green stripe. I'm going to check the voltage, and I'll double check. Right back.

I know I'm a broken thank you record, but I really appreciate the help here.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Acapalic
Professional

This is from memory here, but I'm almost positive it's a white wire with a black stripe and a blue wire with a green stripe. I'm going to check the voltage, and I'll double check. Right back.

I know I'm a broken thank you record, but I really appreciate the help here.
a
Terminal A - Black/light blue
Terminal B - Tan/Black

Wire color codes for the ECT in the haynes manual.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 PM
foolgladly

Well, I call that a poor excuse for tan. But yeah, those are the right ones, and it's kicking just over 5 volts. So something's working here.

So, we're thinking that that's all in order and I'm literally missing my sender? Because it's most certainly not there. Problem is, I don't even see the wire/connecter anywhere, but it's good and dark and I'm down to a flashlight now.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Acapalic
Professional

Yeah so somethings working there , If the gauge isnt working then ur missing some sort of sending unit. Now with this check engine light, do you know what code that is?

Quick Reply: Two ECT Sensors?