2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auto to Manual Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeboy7
it mounted on the side the pan close to the bottom were esle would it be my buddy has one and it the same way 100 to 150 i drive home 3hours and it stay between there. If you run our trans at 200 for a couple hours you kill it oil start to brake down and burn stuff up.

From what I have read up on in the past, the best place to install the sensor is in the return line that heads to the tranny cooler. That way it is reading the actual temp of the fluid which has just been worked by the tranny, not the fluid that has just been through the cooler and sent back into the pan (which will be much cooler in temp).

I don't know, I have got to do more research about it anyway. I don't even have one yet... just haven't figured out the best place to get one from and where exactly to mount it.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 AM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A shift kit basic just make the trans shift faster so you dont have the slipping in between shift and cause more heat in the trans which kills its. A cooler and a tran tem for me would be a must and not to bad in price sliver if i rember right he change his cooler like two times now and he like the "flex alite cooler 4232" look at sliver profile he has a couple good picture of were he put the sener but reamber he bought that pan with the hole in it so the sen went right in. I pulled the pan and drill a welded a fitting in that can with my automiter trans tem. Talk to a loc trans shop to see how much it is get a shift kit install i recman the tran go jr. It is nothin extreme so it wont through break your neck but it well make the tran last longer. I have been doing alot of reaseach latly about them and that what most guys on here are running

Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodirt6000
I'm in the Essex and Grand Isle area. Yes, I know they are like 30 min away from eachother, but I basically live in both places. I will be towing from there to there, and some up into the Northeast Kingdom, like to Coventry.

What what exactly is adjusting the bands? Also what is a shift kit. I would think that the temp guage would be priority because you might have a cooler in there, but theres no way to even know if it's working!

Yeah, I got 3.55's. I suppose it wouldnt be too hard to swap, since I've only got 2WD. But thats a last resort for right now I think. I like my MPG and for the little that I will be pulling, I dont know if it would be worth it?

I was pulling a fully loaded 6X10 inclosed trailer up to Coventry, and if you know Coventry, it is hiiilllyyyy!! It did struggle some going up those inclines, truck was down to second gear and the torque converter was locked all the way. (I think thats how you would explain it...there was no more slip...)
As mentioned shift kit cause the shifts to be completed faster, reducing heat. If you get a trans shop to install it aske them to adjust the bands at the same time.

Lot of discussion in the past about where to locate that temp sensor.
I have a mopar alum deep pan and it has a bung specifically for the Autometer sensor in the pan. If Ma Mopar wants it there is it a bad location? Doubt it, but maybe MontyC can comment on that,,,,hint hint.

Takes less throttle to get rolling if you have taller gears. Wont downshift all the time so better mpg cause of that plus the added benefit of less trans wear from so many shifts. With 410s that 6x10 or 20' enclosed would be much easier to pull. I was under the impression you would be towing more often and it was going to be that 20' enclosed w/Jeep & tools. Must of misunderstood

Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Prodirt6000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
As mentioned shift kit cause the shifts to be completed faster, reducing heat. If you get a trans shop to install it aske them to adjust the bands at the same time.

Lot of discussion in the past about where to locate that temp sensor.
I have a mopar alum deep pan and it has a bung specifically for the Autometer sensor in the pan. If Ma Mopar wants it there is it a bad location? Doubt it, but maybe MontyC can comment on that,,,,hint hint.

Takes less throttle to get rolling if you have taller gears. Wont downshift all the time so better mpg cause of that plus the added benefit of less trans wear from so many shifts. With 410s that 6x10 or 20' enclosed would be much easier to pull. I was under the impression you would be towing more often and it was going to be that 20' enclosed w/Jeep & tools. Must of misunderstood
You where right. I will be pulling a 20' enclosed trailer with a jeep and some tools. I dont have the trailer in Vermont yet, that will be coming up in a year or so. But I do have a 6x10 in Vermont that I do pull every now and again. I was just giving an example of what my truck was like when I was pulling a 6x10.

So taller gears would be 410's right? And 355 would be what? Smaller? Shorter?

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Swap??