2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

it was a good day for the dodge.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default it was a good day for the dodge.

i'll bet there's never been a post like this..
wifey and i went floor shopping today at Dalton, about 2 hours away, all interstate.

i cranked the truck up and it started fine. it cold idled about 1000 rpm just like it was supposed to. IAC worked. TPS worked. off we went. the truck warmed up and ran right on 180 all day. no CEL. oil pressure held steady about 35 all day. the heat worked. it rained off and on and the windshield wipers worked fine. the truck drove reasonably well with very little wander. it tracked straight and didn't pull to one side or the other. there was no roaring, no clicking, no knocking, no thumping, no whining (well - other than that one time we had to make a bathroom stop). the brakes worked. the cruise control worked. it held speed on cruise and didn't downshift or unlock tc. overdrive worked. the transmission shifted fine. it didn't slip, shudder, grind, or jerk. it upshifted and downshifted. the blinkers worked. the headlights worked. the radio worked. it didn't leak any oil or antifreeze. i only had about 1/3 tank of gas when we started, so i stopped along the way and filled up. gas mileage on that tank with 2/3 city and 1/3 highway was about 14. i checked the oil and it was exactly on full. when we got back home i filled it up with gas again to check the highway mileage, 60-65 mph all day. are you ready, no $hit --- 17.8

so what's wrong with my truck that causes all these things to work right ?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:15 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whys your oil pressure so low?......mine is steady around 45....

Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't know. always has been. 140k miles i guess.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
dblj16380
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading your post about your MPG it is OBVIOUS that your odometer is off and not actually tracking all the miles you put on it. That or you found a way to stop it from tracking. HAHA. J/K

It's good to finally hear some good news about our trucks. Every time I jump on here it is my truck is doing this/ my truck broke that, etc. I'm just as guilty as the next member.

Hopefully I can post some good news about my truck soon. Nice Job Man!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Sounds like mine everyday! Especially on long trips, when everything works so well and mileage goes up, all my concerns melt away. Good to hear someone else enjoys their truck as much as me.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just took a run to San Antonio and back. 65mph with the cruise on: 14.37mpg.

But then again, I have been recently trying to transform my truck into a 5500lbs crotch rocket. 2.02 EQ heads are on the way, BTW.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Heck I was excited the other day when I got like 14 mpg on the highway! woot woot!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:09 PM
ophidia
Captain

My MPG has been about 11mpg MAX for quite a while now... this past week I got it in to have a coolant leak checked out and fixed under warranty. It was the timing chain cover, and the timing chain was stretched just out of spec so they swapped that out too (I also had them change the water pump-- the old one wasn't leaking but it would be dumb to not do it as long as they had it apart). It hasn't idled smoother since I got it. I don't know what this will do for MPG, but since it's running a lot more smoothly, I'll bet it'll go up.

New shocks, higher air pressure in the tires, regapped the plugs, new timing chain, adjusted the steering gear-- drives like new. It's amazing what a little maintenance can do.

I like my 10 year old dark green monster truck!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

When I stop doing stuff to my truck it seems to be great! The only thing I have to fix now is my heavy foot and my 1 year license suspension.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:24 PM
ophidia
Captain

Oh, and I changed the fluid in the rear end last night. I've never done that before. The fluid that came out was dark gray, and smelled almost like freshly turned earth. I wondered why everyone said it smelled so bad.

Then I cracked open a new bottle of Mobil 1. Whew! I guess it was definitely time to change it. The new stuff smelled like a nasty sulfury baked bean fart with a little garlic thrown in for good measure. The old stuff smelling like dirt must be a sign that there wasn't much left in it...

Quick Reply: it was a good day for the dodge.