2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Third Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is it aftermakert??

Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

myne wasnt no

Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboABA
If it's bulbs or the fuse, it will not work at all. If it's a wiring issue, it could only work while your lights are on.
Before you insult us, use your heads, bloody Canucks.

If its the bulbs, they may work intermittently, rather than completely be dead. Many bulbs on their way out do that. They may also be loose, and he just never noticed until now. The fuse was just something else to check as the fuse may be loose as well (not making good contact) in which case it may work sometimes and other times not. I've had them all happen.

So both are good suggestions and easy to check. Wiring is the next step, and not so easy to check.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

haha.. this is kind of amusing.. so i thought i had an issue with my brake lights staying on... turns out.. it was big fat foot with my big a** boot. Id be accelerating but instead my side of my boot was lightly touching the brake.. causing the brake light to be on.. only i couldnt feel i was doing it cuz of steel toes and steel sole.. D'oh!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Lol, I just checked mine and they don't work period. Cargo lights work, but 3rd brake light doesn't work with headlights on or off. Glad I saw this thread or wouldn't have even thought to check it.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, now i'll have to go check mine tonight too.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Originally Posted by jason.w
Before you insult us, use your heads, bloody Canucks.

If its the bulbs, they may work intermittently, rather than completely be dead. Many bulbs on their way out do that. They may also be loose, and he just never noticed until now. The fuse was just something else to check as the fuse may be loose as well (not making good contact) in which case it may work sometimes and other times not. I've had them all happen.

So both are good suggestions and easy to check. Wiring is the next step, and not so easy to check.
You're the one trying to insult me with your comment related to my origin. (P.S. Up here in Canada, we only have one head, so I can't use my "heads")
Regardless, I'm not here to get in a pissing match with you, so I'll focus on trying to help the original poster.

Given your latest information about how Sometimes the third brake light will light up with the headlights off too, it's almost like it's just hit or miss. I would suggest you take the light assembly apart and clean everything up. It sounds like you could possibly have some corroded contacts which is quite common as previously mentioned due to deteriorating gaskets.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I will mention that this is an aftermarket brake light with the "LED" lights. I used to own one similar to this one but it was clear. I bet it's just the chinese seller who keeps sending me junk. This is the second one he's sent me. The first never lit up. This one lit up when I first installed it, but my brother has informed that whenever he's behind me, it doesn't work. I just don't get it.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboABA
You're the one trying to insult me with your comment related to my origin. (P.S. Up here in Canada, we only have one head, so I can't use my "heads")
There were two of you there that commented about Silver's and my post, hence why I said "heads". As in both of you.

Regardless, I'm not here to get in a pissing match with you, so I'll focus on trying to help the original poster.
I'm not here for a fight either. Just pisses me off when someone makes perfectly legitimate, helpful posts, and another guy comes on and basically says "Those were stupid ideas."

You'd better be d*mn sure they were bad ideas before you call them that. And they weren't. You could have asked for better explanations, or "not sure what you mean", or simply "I don't get how these are helpful".

Yes, Neon, I bet you its cheap China crap. Who do you buy it from?

This one here is similar to the one I had for a while, and then sold to Squirrels. Wasn't happy with it myself, but it never had any problems.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:14 AM
TurboABA
Professional

Hey Jason, you clearly have issues, so if you want to keep this up, let's start our own thread so we can go toe-to-toe...... I don't want to keep clogging this guy's post with our useless argument.

01DodgeRam360 - You should've probably mentioned right off the bad what you had previously done (such as replacing the OEM light with this cheap *** crap). Take that POS out and check the wires with a voltmeter. If that passes the test, it is clearly the POS light. I suggest putting the OEM back in if you can't find a quality replacement.

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light