2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

control arm help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009 | 06:35 PM
nickkendall
|
Rookie
Default control arm help please

my truck was in an accident and a control arm got bent and i am replacing it but i am having a aweful time i can only get either the top or the bottom to go in place then i can not get the other one to line up it is off an inch or 2 it has factory control arms with some sort of lift blocks that were there when i bought it what do i need to do to get it so i can get everything lined up? is it the spring that i am fighting that only allows 1 arm to line up then fight me? any help would be greatly appreciated i spent 5 hours and got nowhere

Old 02-17-2009 | 06:48 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Take the spring out, hook up the control arms, then put the spring back in.

Old 02-17-2009 | 07:01 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

That would probably be easiest.

Old 02-19-2009 | 12:10 PM
nickkendall
|
Rookie

i have taken it all apart the spring shock and everything is off i have the top control arm hooked up and cannot get the bottom..i have it hooked on the axle but cannot get it to go in the mount on the frame....the pinion is aiming way up how do i get it to turn down? the other side is still bolted up i have taken none of that off

Old 02-19-2009 | 12:18 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Are you sure more than just your control arm didnt get bent?? I would go check out the other side and measure things out to find out if it is the same or if the side where the control arm got bent is bent also... because when I took mine off they went on real easily...

Old 02-19-2009 | 12:23 PM
nickkendall
|
Rookie

i looked the other side over and did not see any damage to the other side....i no when i bought the truck i was told that the lift is 4.5 inches and i no the control arms are factory so wondering if that could be some of the problem? but then i took the spring out and still can't get it just wondering if i have to take the whole other side apart also?

Old 02-19-2009 | 12:35 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

you shouldnt have to, take the spring out on the other side though. you have the factory control arms on 4.5 inches of lift????? I have almost 3 and I dont like the way my control arms are set... but if you take the spring out on the other side also it should level the axel out which might help, then get a jack under both sides of the axle and lift it up even and try to get the control arm hooked up at a level point so that the control arms almost are straight with the mounting position... if that doesnt work the disconnect them from the axle, hook them up the frame, and try getting it the other way, and I guess if that doesnt even work, disconnect the control arms on the other side and disconnect the sway bar, then try to hook them up when the axle is free of all the other stuff that holds it in place, try to avoid doing that though, because it seems like you are having trouble with one of the simpler parts on that front suspension, and I dont know if its because you have something messed up in there, or if its because you havent ever worked with suspension before... (not trying to put you down btw, I just dont know where your mechanical skill level is at, obviously you have some at least to be able to take it apart correctly) another question is, do you have all the parts, are your bushings packed right??? that could cause a problem... if there is anything else just ask.

Quick Reply: control arm help please