2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PS Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PS Pump

Hey guys, I've GOT to replace my ps pump very soon. It's been giving me issues for a long time, but now it is just getting ridiculous. Whines on start up, whines when I turn, and doesn't want to turn unless I'm on the gas hard...I'm afraid I'm going to sideswipe someone while turning. Anyway, I didn't see anything in the service manual about the replacement. I am going to try and do it either tomorrow or Saturday, so I need some know-how. What is the process? Any special tools, like for the pulley? Thanks...

Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

removal is easy. Take the pump and the mount off as one piece. Once you look at it you'll see what needs to happen. I rate this job just a tad harder than doing an oil change. Only special tools you will need will be a puller to remove the pulley, as well as the same unit to put the pully on the new pump. Slap her back in and fill her up. I jacked my front end up so the wheels were off the ground and left the cap off the fill port. Started her up and my buddy kept putting fluid in as I cranked the wheel left and right. Worked the air out until it felt normal and put the cap on she was good to go. Wish ya luck!

Edit - -

Step by step

0 remove serpentine belt
1 remove powersteering lines (one is a clamp, other use a wrench)
2 unmount the powersteering mount (1 nut, 4 bolts i think)
3 pull the assembly out of the truck
4 pull the pully off using the puller
5 unbolt the pump from mount (4 bolts I believe)
6 mount new pump to mount (use the 4 bolts)
7 press the new pully on using the puller / installer
8 hook everything back up and use the tip on bleeding the air out I mentioned earlier

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 02-19-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Sounds like a plan...thanks for takin' the time to write it up for me.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Did you ensure that you've got enough fluid and that your belt is in good condition and it is not slipping?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Ram2K1
Sounds like a plan...thanks for takin' the time to write it up for me.
No problem. I've been there and done that twice now so I figured I'd shed some light. I sheared the shaft off inside the pump on my stock pump while offroading. I was pissed that night because I was stuck too. Next morning I got a junkyard pump for $20. Tried that out. It worked but it squeeled so friggin bad I changed it out a week later for a new one. I used the old pump, dumped a few bottles of powersteering fluid in while the return hose was disconnected. At least the junkyard pump wasn't worthless as it allowed me to flush my system out before I put the new pump in. Been working fine ever since.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

I may try to flush mine before I return the old pump as well. That is something I didn't think about, but I could use a system flush for sure. This problem started a long time ago, and I just put in some Lucas power steering additive and it went away and worked as good as new for a decent time. But recently it has resurfaced and not even the Lucas will help this time. She has to go... I considered buying the rebuild kit for $15 and going that route, but I can get one from Advance for $60, so why not? Did the whole system require a lot of fluid to do the flush?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I think I grabbed a couple bottles of PS fluid to do it. I used the cheapest stuff I could find since it was gonna be poured in, and dumped right back out. I first bought the rebuild kit, but decided against it. It looked harder than it was worth as it comes down to whether the seals will seal or not. I payed I think $50-60 or so after core return for a pump w/ resivour. For how easy it was to replace and how quickly it got me back on the road.... it was worth every penny. Just something to think about. If you do decide to rebuild the pump, please let me know how it turned out.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Depending on where and what brand you get, it will come with a bolt and some washers to reinstall the pulley. And you can rent for free the puller to take it off. And the new pump directions will state that you must flush the whole steering system, or the warranty is void. The directions will also tell you exactly how to perform that procedure.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Cool...I had to move it to next weekend, but I am doing it for sure. I think the brand is Cardone that they sell at Advance. I may check AZ, Napa, and O'Reilly, too. I think I have decided against the rebuild.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:21 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
Depending on where and what brand you get, it will come with a bolt and some washers to reinstall the pulley. And you can rent for free the puller to take it off. And the new pump directions will state that you must flush the whole steering system, or the warranty is void. The directions will also tell you exactly how to perform that procedure.
It does say something like taht... but honestly tell me that if I hooked up the pump and the pump didn't work that that napa wouldn't take it back. Mine didn't have a flush procedure, but flushed mine because mine was real dark. If your fluid is good, i'd just hook it up. Thats me of course. You are also right about the bolt and washer stuff to install the pulley, but I found it easier since I had to borrow a puller, i would use the puller to put it back on too.

Quick Reply: PS Pump