2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

random misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:52 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default random misfires

out of now where i started having misfires. the only two i have had so far are cylender 1 and 8. i pulled both spark plugs, and they are gapped correctly, and the wires are fine.

the only thing throwin me off is one min driving down the road at like 60 and still have it, stop at a stop light, and it will go away, no problem... be fine for a few hours and then out of now where come back....

im stupmed

Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are your wires touching or very close?????

Old 02-22-2009, 09:01 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

they are sitting on the little hangers it came with stock. but i think i may do a set of wires and see what happens cause my dad said the same thing....

Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
dblj16380
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that there is a TSB out there about re-routing the wires in a different pattern to stop this condition. If you search this forum or look in the DIY you should be able to find it. I don't know if this is causing you problem, but if you are doing wires anyways then you would want to follow it!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

yeah, last week i put headers on and i forgot to kinda separate them when i was done and it ran like crap and was throwin codes so i figured id do the reroute and it ran great afterwards

Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
madmax0r
Professional

so, if your wires are run where they are touching the engine, it will misfire?

thats not supposed to happen is it?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

not exactly touching the engine, i dont guess but i had mine just tucked up on the valve cover and it was throwing injector malfunction and torque converter codes and runnin like crap

Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

When wires run parallel to each other, one can induce enough voltage in the other to cause a crossfire in that cylinder. Rerouting to separate the offending cables (or upgrading to fatter ones) will usually solve the problem.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well it was nothing in the wires at all... i fond the problem and it is much bigger then wires.

the way i figured this out is i put a new set of wires on it, and checked the plugs being that they were brand new before i pulled the motor. and re gappe them, and the cleand them, put everything back together, still ran like crap, put my new glasspack on, some ring repair oil adative in, injector cleaner in....

still ran like crap, this problem stumped me for a good part of the day being it had only trown a code at idle, but seemed to have a worse miss just cruiseing and haveing a load against the motor...

so i pulled the plugs again, and put in a new set of plugs, the good ones, bosch platnuim +4's, ran great... had some awsome power for about a half hour.

the miss then came back.... we all stopped at taco bell, got some food, and while waiting on the on guy to get his food, i pulled out my sprak plug socket, and rachet, puled my number one spark plug again...

COVERED IN OIL... Same with the number 8, those are the two cylenders trowning codes for misfires...

i then came to the conclusion that i just really have bad oil rings on my pistons. nothing i can really do unless i want to get the motor back out and re ring the pistons...

i dont really want to do this... so i am just going to keep an eye on the oil level, and beat her back home to NY where she will sit for a few months and get rebuilt, in a big way

Quick Reply: random misfires