2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rebuilt trans prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 PM
madman269
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt trans prob

so we had a rebuilt trans put in our truck....it went in fine,,but.....after about three miles the trans temp lite comes on and the trans will come out of o/d..then when you come to a stop it will not shift out of first....let it sit and it repeats....they have hit it with a temp gun and it only reads 140 to 150 degrees so its not hot...have checked all lines no restrictions..the mechanic thinks it maybe the trans temp sending unit on the valve body....but the person that we purchased the trans from says that all sensors and servos are tested and or replaced during the rebuild....the person that we purchased the trans from is saying a bad connection or grounding in the harnness my mechanic is not a trans specilist.....so he is kinda hit and missing...looking for some direction.....1996 ram 1500 46re trans.....

Last edited by madman269; 02-18-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
madman269

took the truck to dodge...rebuilt tranny was sent out with the wrong pressure solinoid...round instead of square or some ****..the guy wanted us to pay for shipping both ways from calif to new jersey..thats another 1000.00 dollars...and then the labor om the repair.....another 400.00... said screw you let dodge here fix it.....350.00 dollars done works great.......so if you go to by a rebuilt tranny...dont buy one from toms transmissions in new jersy..they are a joke.....and by the way... this my last post in here....i cant get any sound solid info from you idiots........respond all you want....because i need mechanic help....not bull****.....

Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

listen.. same exact thing was going on in my rebuilt trans in my 96.. this is an easy fix.. theres a small check valve going in to the motor, this check valve allows coolant to circulate and cool the tranny by going thro the radiator. long story short, this check valve is a pos. it constantly clogs and can happen any time. this is what you do. take the check valve off youll see two of them.. passengers side right by the radiator about 12 inches long. go to auto zone buy some trans fluid line about 12 bucks a foot.. replace the check valve thats closest to the motor with the line. use 2 hose clamps on both ends to prevent a blow out of the line. and your in business my friend. but dont drive it any more until thats fixed. its not circulating your tranny fluid and it will fry your freshly rebuilt tranny.. trust me.. mine did. so im on rebuilt tranny number 2. in 200 miles.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

now that i just read ur second post.. thanks for being an A$$hole.. i just basically told you how to save your tranny for a mere $20. F*ck You

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 PM
transguy37
Professional

Wow, that's crazy, they should have known that one. 96 to 99 takes the round governor pressure sensor, which also is the trans temp sensor, and 2000 and up takes the square one. If you mix these up, on the scanner you will see -30 degrees or somewhere around that for the trans temp. Will never work.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:29 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by madman269
took the truck to dodge...rebuilt tranny was sent out with the wrong pressure solinoid...round instead of square or some ****..the guy wanted us to pay for shipping both ways from calif to new jersey..thats another 1000.00 dollars...and then the labor om the repair.....another 400.00... said screw you let dodge here fix it.....350.00 dollars done works great.......so if you go to by a rebuilt tranny...dont buy one from toms transmissions in new jersy..they are a joke.....and by the way... this my last post in here....i cant get any sound solid info from you idiots........respond all you want....because i need mechanic help....not bull****.....

Bye bye!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madman269
Note to self: do not help madman when his toms transmission goes out.

Quick Reply: rebuilt trans prob