2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny troubles---Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Coyote Jack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny troubles---Help

I just replaced the TC and pump in my 98 4X4 1500 with a 46RE. The only other thing I had to do was replace the fluid.
After starting it up, it is acting like it is in 2 gears at the same time. Even in park. It also has no reverse, just forward no matter where the gear selector is. Yes, I checked to make sure the selector was working. The tranny was shifting perfectly before I got into it. It was just pumping fluid out of the front of the bellhousing. I also backed it into the garage to work on it.

The only thing I can think of is that the pump gasket is in wrong. Even though I was carefull putting it in and the bolt holes lined up perfectly.

Any ideas?

Jack

Old 02-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Coyote Jack

Anybody?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you put new sealing rings on the pump stator? Did you make sure you didnt lift up the direct drum when you pulled out the pump.

What procedure did you follow for the repair?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I had a similar problem with my truck. My oil pump went bad and fused my TC to the pump seal.

Well, I dropped the trans and replaced the pump (my dad actually put the pump in but I put the trans back in)

Well, I fired it back up and no reverse or D, just 1 and 2.

I dropped the trans again and found out my dad forgot to put the 2 seal rings on the inside of the pump.

My cousin put the pump back in and snapped one of the seal rings on the way in (didn't find this out till later). I re-installed the trans and I had reverse, 1, and 2 but no D.

Dropped the trans AGAIN and found out the pump broke and the seal ring broke. Got a new pump and put it in myself this time being careful to put both seal rings in right and the pump gently in.

Now I have reverse, 1, 2 and D/OD. All is well aside from needing to adjust my TV cable. You might have not put the seal rings on right or broke one on the way in.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tranny troubles---Help