2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Front drive shaft

Has anyone ever rebuilt theirs? I have a kit, that came with instructions and new clamps for the boot on the slip joint. All it says is that the slip joint should slide freely. No surprise that mine was rusted solid, and had to heat it up to get it apart. But the directions and the FSM do not say what to lube it with. I'm assuming grease, but maybe anti seize compound? It's a ridiculous design anyway, because it uses a boot but the yoke end is wide open.

TIA

Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moly bearing grease.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
dillonjm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the same grease I put in my u-joints.

FYI a lot of aftermarket shafts dont even use a boot, they just leave the splines exposed.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dillonjm

FYI a lot of aftermarket shafts dont even use a boot, they just leave the splines exposed.

Sometimes I think that is better in the long run. At least it wouldnt have a boot to hold dirt/debris inside it once the crap gets into it.

BTW, nice find Zman. That would be a doozy having to replace the transfer case once it cracked from no slip from the shaft

Last edited by olyelr; 02-23-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by olyelr
Sometimes I think that is better in the long run. At least it wouldnt have a boot to hold dirt/debris inside it once the crap gets into it.

BTW, nice find Zman. That would be a doozy having to replace the transfer case once it cracked from no slip from the shaft

Thing is, I don't know how long it's been like that. And i have a rebuilt TC in it from a 1 and a 1/2 ago. Like I have said in previous posts in other threads, I've only used 4wd maybe 6 to 8 times since. However, I called Dan at quad4x4.com ,where I get my 4wd parts from, and wouldn't you know it, there is what is called a soft plug that goes in the end of the shaft by the yoke to keep crap out. It needs to be installed before the ujoint goes in. I called him right before I installed that joint. Anyway, the rebuild of the Cardan joint went great and is a TOB. LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zman17
Thing is, I don't know how long it's been like that. And i have a rebuilt TC in it from a 1 and a 1/2 ago. Like I have said in previous posts in other threads, I've only used 4wd maybe 6 to 8 times since. However, I called Dan at quad4x4.com ,where I get my 4wd parts from, and wouldn't you know it, there is what is called a soft plug that goes in the end of the shaft by the yoke to keep crap out. It needs to be installed before the ujoint goes in. I called him right before I installed that joint. Anyway, the rebuild of the Cardan joint went great and is a TOB. LOL

Nice to hear. Why did you rebuild it anyway, was it shot or were you just doing some maintenance? I have heard horror stories of people who don't use their 4 wheel much that the double cardnn joint can seize up, and then when they stick it in 4 wheel, well... kaboom.

I have 160k on mine and it still feels tight. I'm dreading rebuilding mine though. I'm sure everything is nearly welded together from so many years of salty winters.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I had no prob getting it all apart, one of the u joints in the Cardan was slightly loose, but the reason I rebuilt it was because the ball in the Cardan joint was squeaking.

Just got back from taking a ride to a driveshaft shop. They put a plug in the end of it for me. So all I have to do is install the front joint and put the boot back on and I'm good to go. If the slip joint was not seized, this would have taken all of 2 hours at the most, including cleaning everything up.

Quick Reply: Front drive shaft