2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shift Light ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shift Light ??

I had a little orange triangle show up on the lower right of the dash today. I'm assuming it was a shift light, but I'd never seen it before??? It was working on the drive home, then I left the house 5min later, it came on, but then flickered and was gone again. Where would I start looking to have this thing work all the time?? Btw my truck is a 5 speed .

Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, i would just pull the bulb out of that one. Its there to tell you the best points to shift for fuel economy.. but they arent very good if you ask me, just annoying.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
helms
All Star

UPSHIFT INDICATOR
An upshift indicator is standard equipment on all instrument clusters. However, on vehicles not equipped with a manual transmission, this indicator is disabled. The upshift indicator is located near the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster overlay, to the left of center. The upshift indicator consists of an upward pointed arrow icon that is a stenciled cutout in the opaque layer of the instrument cluster overlay The dark outer layer of the overlay prevents the indicator from being clearly visible when it is not illuminated. An amber lens behind the cutout in the opaque layer of the overlay causes the icon to appear in amber through the translucent outer layer of the overlay when the indicator is illuminated from behind by a replaceable incandescent bulb and bulb holder unit located on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board. The upshift indicator is serviced as a unit with the instrument cluster.

The upshift indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when the transmission should be shifted to the next highest gear in order to achieve the best fuel economy This indicator is controlled by a transistor on the instrument cluster circuit board based upon the cluster programming and electronic messages received by the cluster from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) data bus. The upshift indicator bulb receives battery current on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board through the fused ignition switch output (st-run) circuit whenever the ignition switch is in the ON or Start positions; therefore, the lamp will always be OFF when the ignition switch is in any position except ON or Start. The bulb only illuminates when it is provided a path to ground by the instrument cluster transistor. On models not equipped with a manual transmission, the incandescent bulb and bulb holder unit are not installed at the factory when the vehicle is built.

The instrument cluster will turn ON the upshift indicator for the following reasons:

Upshift Lamp-ON Message - Each time the cluster receives an upshift lamp-ON message from the PCM indicating the engine speed and load conditions are right for a transmission upshift to occur, the upshift indicator is illuminated. The indicator remains illuminated until the cluster receives an upshift lamp-OFF message from the PCM or until the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, whichever occurs first. The PCM will normally send an upshift lamp-OFF message three to five seconds after a lamp-ON message, if an upshift is not performed. The indicator will then remain OFF until the vehicle stops accelerating and is brought back into the range of indicator operation, or until the transmission is shifted into another gear.

Actuator Test - Each time the cluster is put through the actuator test, the indicator will be turned ON during the bulb check portion of the test to confirm the functionality of the indicator and the cluster control circuitry.

The PCM continually monitors the engine speed and load conditions to determine the proper fuel and ignition requirements. The PCM then sends the proper messages to the instrument cluster. If the upshift indicator fails to light during normal vehicle operation, replace the bulb with a known good unit. For further diagnosis of the upshift indicator or the instrument cluster circuitry that controls the indicator, (Refer to INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING See: Instrument Cluster / Carrier\Testing and Inspection). For proper diagnosis of the PCM, the CCD data bus, or the message inputs to the instrument cluster that control the upshift indicator, a DRB III scan tool is required. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
helms
All Star

The upshift indicator is located near the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster overlay, to the left of center.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Keegan
Professional

Probably on yours it is... mine's 1995 though... It popped up where the e-brake light is. I have two smaller message centers on either side of the steering wheel. It came up on the right side..

Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM
helms
All Star

this is off ALLDATA. your right, this is for a 2002 2500, so itll be different, i didnt notice the year of your truck, sorry

Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Keegan
Professional

No worries :P. I figured it was a useless light as you said, but if it was a quick fix I'd like to have it working haha.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

solution -> small piece of black electrical tape over that spot. or - a picture of your choice.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 PM
ophidia
Captain

Electrical tape is certainly the proper solution, and easier than replacing or removing the bulb. I hate those upshift lights.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Keegan
Professional

hmm.... I should do that to my oil light too...

Quick Reply: Shift Light ??