2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans cooling fitting on rad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 PM
robinbobin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans cooling fitting on rad?

Ok, so i have a leak on one of my trans cooling lines. If im correct its the supply line (bottom). It all started when i took the radiator out to do the plenum deal and timing chain. Whoever owned the truck before me must have stripped out the fitting that is in the radiator. They had a bunch of plumbers tape on it. So i did the same thing a while back lol it work for a while, it is now leaking not a lot but noticable on the ground. It looks to me that the fitting can be removed, am i correct? and if so where do you think i can find one. I have been searching for a 2 days and cant find anything online.
I would try an take it off now but i need my truck for work, its basically part of my job. Sorry for the journal entry

thanks dennis

Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you are correct in that the bottom line is the pressure (hot) line. the fitting is screwed into the radiator. i don't know what the threads are. anyway, then the transmission hose has the quick connect fitting, which is crimped onto the hose. the other end of the hose is either screwed into or crimped onto the check valve thing.

if the radiator threads are still good (unlikley) and the fitting is stripped, you could probably get a fitting from the junk yard.

you might be able to use some teflon tape, rtv, teflon sealer, or something else to seal that it up, if you can just get it started. its not real high pressure.

beware that the hoses with the quick connects can be pretty expensive, and since they are crimp onto the hard lines at the frame, it may come as a big expensive set, i don't know.

i do know that the easiest thing to do is cut all that **** off, and use a couple of pieces of auto trans hose, size 3/8", from any auto parts store. it expensive at about $3/ft. you can simply clamp it onto the lines, once you cut off the quick connects. i cut all mine off when installing a trans cooler.

i also removed my check valve in the pressure line at the frame. one less thing to go wrong...
pictures... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ter-added.html

Last edited by dhvaughan; 02-24-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
robinbobin
Rookie

alright thanks for the info i really appreciate it been buggin me for a while. when i tacklin it im just gonna go ahead an add the trans cooler and filter. seems like an inexpensive easier task that will save money down the road. plus i haul a trailer with 400 gallons of water wekly and a boat. once again thanks

dennis

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM
madmax0r
Professional

Hey,

you can have those hoses made... I know of a shop that makes hydraulic hoses for tractors that could do it, they make break lines and all sorts of stuff.

Its worth asking your local hydraulic/tractor supply. many of those fittings are all pretty standard.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
sawtooth
Rookie

Check out the following link. I purchased a quick disconnect 730-5027 from NAPA (transmission line connector), installed it sunday. Not leaking yet.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 AM
robinbobin
Rookie

yeah i actually have a hydraulic hose place close by that does that, and that only. They are quick and cheap too.

I dont really need those fittings, its the fitting that is actually in the radiator

Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

+1 eliminate the check valve that goes into the radiator.. it will clog and cause massive tranny issues with heat.. trust me.. mine got so hot my 1st gear welded itself to second.. and it was because of the damn check valve.. elimniate it, use the trans hose. ur in good shape. =) and its cheap to, def cheaper then the hydraulic line shop. 2-4 worm hose clamps and about a foot of line.. rock n roll buddy.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 PM
robinbobin
Rookie

anyone on here ever used this type of trans cooler? if not whate do you think?
i think a regular old rad style is better allows for more air to pass by.

woops for to link it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2532wt_1349

Last edited by robinbobin; 02-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans cooling fitting on rad?