2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need a fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same issue in my colorado.. my pressure regulator was shot, put a new one in... but i was still spraying gas all over the motor.. turned out it was a crack in the rail also.. i replaced all the blue o rings on the injectors, and also put a new rail in and even though the regulator was new i replaced the o rings on that as well. basically.. carb cleaner wont do everything that you would like it to do.. but be careful with the brush that you dont lodge dirt inside the hole.. and use a little bit of vaseline or something on the o rings when you go to seat the injectors and rail back in.. they are very fragile and you could easily put a small tear in them.. if you do that.. you might as well throw another weekend away because you gotta do it all over again.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96RamSLT
had the same issue in my colorado.. my pressure regulator was shot, put a new one in... but i was still spraying gas all over the motor.. turned out it was a crack in the rail also.. i replaced all the blue o rings on the injectors, and also put a new rail in and even though the regulator was new i replaced the o rings on that as well. basically.. carb cleaner wont do everything that you would like it to do.. but be careful with the brush that you dont lodge dirt inside the hole.. and use a little bit of vaseline or something on the o rings when you go to seat the injectors and rail back in.. they are very fragile and you could easily put a small tear in them.. if you do that.. you might as well throw another weekend away because you gotta do it all over again.
well it's definitely not a fuel pressure regulator because i just replaced the fule pump and from what i heard that's built into the assembly. it has a new IAC valve and the only thing I can come up with is the #6 injector is clogged. the engine stumbles during warm up when it tries to lower the rpm"s and you can here the TB letting in more air to compensate, This will go on for a few minutes and this is when the CEL will come on giving me the Cyl 6 misfire code. For a while it was always the #5 cyl but the heavy dosing of fuel injector cleaner in every tank cleared that up now it's the #6.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pressure regulator for these trucks is mounted to the top of the fuel pump assy and acts like a third stage filter. It can easily be removed/replaced.

Quick Reply: I need a fuel rail