2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which way looks better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:09 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which way looks better?

Well, since my front windows aren't tinted it's really bugging me. I loved and I mean loved my 5% tint. I really do miss it however, I'm tired of getting tickets. The rears are still 5% over the factory tint.

I did a quick edit of a picture with the gimp to slightly darken up the windows.

Here is how it looks now
Name:  5LlumarATCtintandthenremovedonJa-5.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  122.1 KB

Here is how it looked in the picture where I did a slight edit
Name:  5LlumarATCtintandthenremovedonJa-6.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  115.4 KB

May still be darker than I could get away with. Does it seem much darker than a 35%?

Here is another edit
Name:  5LlumarATCtintandthenremovedonJa-8.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  115.9 KB

I think that's more what I could get away with but not sure that I like it that much.

This is it when it had 5% which of course is my favorite. This is what it looked like not a chop.
Name:  5LlumarATCtintandthenremovedonJa-4.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  106.4 KB

What do you guys think? The legal limit is 50%. The cop that keeps pulling me over told me that if I put a 40% on there that they would let it go. I however had 35% in the past although it was faded I never had any problems with it. I'm just missing having some tint and while I want my 5% back I'm tired of tickets. Do you guys think I should just leave them stock like they are now or go with a light tint or what?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may sound WAY off topic, but what color are your eyes?
I have friends that were having some issues with 5% tint on their windows with tickets.
When I got mine tinted, I went to my eye doc and conned him into writing up a script for it. While I have never had an issue with the fuzz and the tint, I keep that script in the glove box just in case.

I know it sounds off the wall, but most eye doctors will help with the tint if you tell them you have sensitivity to light.

The whole eye color thing was due to how light affects the different colors of the eye.
You will find that most (not all) blue eyed people have sensitivity issues with light. I know that even on in an overcast I have to have my sunglasses on or I will be squinting so bad that I cant see.
There are even instances where I have worn my glasses inside just because of the type of lighting being used.

I would still look at talking to an eye doctor to see if they could help you out.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I do have issues with the sun hurting my eyes without the tint to be honest. I'm not just bsing here because I liked the tint. That was one of the things I liked about it. I'm often wearing sunglasses but it seems like half the time I don't have them where I need them.

That being said because the law is stupid here even if I get a notice from the doctor it still only allows me to have 35% tint here. I think I can then also have a 70% tint on the windshield but who wants that?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Are you absolutley sure on even if you get a script for the tint that you will be limited to 35%?
I hear ya on driving with out tint on the windows. I have to drive other vehicles all the time, and if they dont have some kind of tint I go bonkers.
Luckily, the same doc wrote up a script that allowed me to buy a set of Oakley sunglasses for about $15.00
I love loose doctors and great insurance.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Everything I've read says the waivers lower the limit from 50% on the front to 35% and that the rear stays 35% or on MPV's which would be my truck as dark as you want on the rear. You can also have a 35% sunstrip or the whole windshield tinted at 70% with a waiver. I just tried to find more on it and I could only find posts on other sites of people saying that. Maybe I need to look more but I'm pretty sure that's how it is here. I wish it was that you could have as dark as you wanted. I'm trying to decide if I just want to have a 35% put on there and be pretty unhappy. I didn't like the 35% at all really but it's better than nothing. Then again at the same time I minus well be unhappy and have no tint then not risk getting a ticket at all. So I don't know what I want to do. I just wish I could have the 5% and the one officer that likes to give me tickets would stop giving me them. He is the only officer that has ever pulled me over for tint.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

well, I know that they do allow for an exemption, http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OH/
Trying to find a laws book for the complete list....

Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

personally, I wouldnt waste the money on a 35% tint. Just my O2 though

Old 02-28-2009, 04:47 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
This may sound WAY off topic, but what color are your eyes?
I have friends that were having some issues with 5% tint on their windows with tickets.
When I got mine tinted, I went to my eye doc and conned him into writing up a script for it. While I have never had an issue with the fuzz and the tint, I keep that script in the glove box just in case.

I know it sounds off the wall, but most eye doctors will help with the tint if you tell them you have sensitivity to light.

The whole eye color thing was due to how light affects the different colors of the eye.
You will find that most (not all) blue eyed people have sensitivity issues with light. I know that even on in an overcast I have to have my sunglasses on or I will be squinting so bad that I cant see.
There are even instances where I have worn my glasses inside just because of the type of lighting being used.

I would still look at talking to an eye doctor to see if they could help you out.
my buddy did the same thing. got the script from the eye doctor. i didnt believe him till he showed me the paper. he has limo tint. you cannt even see in at all. he has been pulled over a couple times for it and never got a ticket.

your truck looks alot better with the windows tinted in some shape or form. i run 20% and have never had a problem.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 35% on the front windows of my truck and have not had any problems with the po-po's around here. Ive even been pulled over with tthem a few times without any hassle. They kinda look like the photoshopped pic you posted up earlier.

As far as the eye doctors note goes, yeah it works, but it is still a pain in the @ss. My wife a note as well, which always gets her out of the ticket, but she still gets pulled over for it. So in my mind, tint is really not worth the hassle, even with the the note (cause you still get hasseled!).

If I ever get a ticket for my tinted windows it will just get removed, done deal. Not worth getting pulled over IMO.

Heres a on of mine for ya (factory rear tint).

poserflexn012.jpg?t=1235828241

Old 02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
acsamples79
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talon6
i run 20% and have never had a problem.
+1 i run 20% all around, and ive never once been bothered by a cop, and it think its plenty dark. 35% would definetely be a waste of money i believe