2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New findings..maybe this contributes to my ping at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New findings..maybe this contributes to my ping at WOT

I know last time I had a post about pinging with my tunes we agreed that the gas was **** and I should wait for the spring batch. I still am following this and I'm waiting for the new stuff. However, today I noticed something that I havent before. I threw on my light tune to play with some friends ( thought minor pinging for a day would kill me) and I noticed that when I have a tune on the temp rises and flucuates. Even sitting at idol my temp would flucuate. Normally, the guage should sit between 130 and 210, but with a tune on it seems to rise to very near 210 then evenutally drop down to the mid of the two again. This seems to continue and also seems that when I drive the temp will drop sooner than when I sit at idol.

With my tunes off however, my temp guage sits closer to the 130 mark. So Im very confused. I do believe though that my 180 stat is starting (if not already) to crap out on me. I already have a new Napa 180 tstat that im going to throw in and im also swapping my rad. So ill do those at the same time.

Also, talked to my dad about what I just posted he gave me a few ideas but then he went to the thought that I may need my distrib. to be advanced or retarted? Does this makes sense? Should I talk to Hemi about this too if it hasnt been done already?

Thoughts? Thanks guys

Old 02-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

I've always heard that excessively advanced static ignition timing can cause the engine to run hot or overheat. Maybe that setting they call "fuel sync" is a little advanced on your disty? If you have an advanced tuner, it's supposed to tell you what the setting is. Don't know what mine is, but I'm not having any issues that would suggest that it's far from "0".

Old 02-28-2009, 07:25 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Advanced static timing runs cooler ... retarded runs hotter. Niether is an issue on these trucks as timing is controlled by the computer (short of a Crank Sensor mod).

Old 03-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
Advanced static timing runs cooler ... retarded runs hotter.
I just knew when I wrote that I was going to be wrong, lol . Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

I have an SCT tuner so i have done no tuning. All taken care of by Hemi. So i wouldnt really know

Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Just looking at the title, I'd say don't worry. If it only pings at WOT then that's not that big of a deal. Unless you drag race every single stop sign and light. But yeah, looks like the stat is going out. My 180 never goes over 180.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Just looking at the title, I'd say don't worry. If it only pings at WOT then that's not that big of a deal. Unless you drag race every single stop sign and light. But yeah, looks like the stat is going out. My 180 never goes over 180.
well its kinda a problem cuz..i drag race.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Haha, well, then yeah probably should worry! You know, the last time I ran a can of seafoam through the tank, instead of the booster, I haven't heard any ping. So I'm happy, but sorry for you.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

yeah i already tried the foam didnt help

Quick Reply: New findings..maybe this contributes to my ping at WOT