2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd Gen Wheels & 2nd Gen Rams

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:57 PM
1969roadrunner
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3rd Gen Wheels & 2nd Gen Rams

Alright, here's the deal:

I've got a '97 Ram 1500 4x2 that I have big plans for (440 big....hehe) Well, part of this plan includes new wheels. I love the way the new OEM 20"s look and it is even better that they have the ram's head logo on them instead of some aftermarket company. I have seen three 2nd Gen Rams with the 20"s on them and they look great and seem to fit fine. Another older post I read on here was worried about clearance issues, well these seemed to clear fine, although I do agree with what one person said about not going beyond a 285 tread width. So, they fit right? Well, I'm not so sure about that. I don't have the 20"s yet, but I do have some of the chrome 17"s that come on the newer trucks. I will be needing tires before long and when I had the chance to buy a set of nice looking wheels that are bigger than my factory 16"s and have almost new Michelin tires on them for $400, I took it.

I went to put the wheels on the other day and came acrossed a big problem. I have seen dozens of 2nd Gen Rams with the 17"s, so I know that they can be put on there. The problem I am having is with the hub covers and the spindles on my front wheels. The rear wheels go on great, no porblem, no modification, no spacers. They fit like they were made for that truck. The front, however, won't allow me to put the hub cover on due to the protrusion of the spindle. What can I do to get around this? I really don't want to space out the wheels, that would make the tires run almost 2"s outside the wheelwell and I do no like how that looks. Is it possible to take the upper control arm and steering knuckle off of a 3rd Gen and bolt it into place on my 2nd Gen? The local Dodge House told me that 1997 was the last year that Dodge put servicable wheel bearings on the front and that anything 1998 and newer should have a sealed, pressed bearing that doesn't protrude like mine. Is that true? If so, the solution is simple, find a '98 or newer steering knuckle. If not, well, any other ideas? Remember, I'm trying to mount the 17"s now, not the 20"s. I would assume though, that I would run into the same problem with either size as they were designed for the same 3rd Gen application...

Any advice would be appreciated, and if anyone has done this or has run into the same problem and found a way around it, let me know. Thanks...

The following users liked this post:
TJ Palmer (12-28-2019)

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Wheels & 2nd Gen Rams