2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog Lights/ switch fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:27 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog Lights/ switch fix

Had a chance to dig into my headlight/foglight switch today here is what I found

#1. Dont get the switch from autozone it is not an exact replacement $20.47- not even close to original although it is listed that way...

#2 If you remove the switch assembly 3 screws (very easy to do) after removing dash bezel and remove both wiring connectors from the back of switch take the switch to your workbench- very carefully with switch facing down remove back cover by prying tabs inward, do not jiggle switch while doing this, very little intricate parts in there and you do not want them coming apart (trust me)
thats as far as i had to go, there is a small "S" shaped copper piece that is supposed to fit on the rod coming in from front of switch, that can fall off and when you pull your switch out to engage foglights/running lights there is no copper "S' to make the connection...very easy to fix..

#3 I carefully bent the outter part of the "S" and placed it back on the only existing tiny **** that was left and took out my trusty industrial strength multi-purpose glue gun and place a ball of glue right on the top.....let it dry and checked that it made contact with the back of the switch and it works like new..

# 4 Dealer part for this is approximately $ 129.00 (wow) i have a dab a glue and about 1 hr involved cause you need to go slow...i hope this helps anyone who may have the same problem...the switch looks to be a poor design, never saw any setup like it before.

And the problem i was having with check engine light was O2 sensor #1 high voltage, I will try to clean before I replace cause there not cheap...

[IMG]local://upfiles/12603/DCCD162FFC31491CBBF9408AF5E98F74.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Fog Lights/ switch fix