2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Surgin around 40mph and stalling after warmed up.Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
dirtoutlaw88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surgin around 40mph and stalling after warmed up.Help?!

Truck is a 94 1500 5.2L Truck starts and runs fine till it warms up and then it will begin to surge and rpms will jump around 200 when it does this. Only surges when foot is slightly on pedal give it more pedal and there is a slight delay and it comes back alive. Also, at a stop light or sittin in park it will be idling fine and suddenly get rough and then drop rpms to the point where it used to complety die. I replaced the EGR valve, Idle Air Control and took off the throttle body and completely cleaned all the vacuum holes and butterflies. Seems to run much better while under acceleration, but my original problems still are there with surging and wanting to die, sometimes it won't die completely but will Hiss very loudly and chug while rpms bounce between 50 and 100. My next thought is to change out the TPS, when its chugging and I unplug the TPS it revs back to normal idle very quickly and then resumes rough idle again. then revs again when it is reconnected and back to rough idle once again. However, when it starts acting up if I turn off the ignition then re-fire, the problem is gone for a little while then comes right back. Shutting off and re-firing while driving stops the surging also, then return after 5 miles or so. ANY IDEAS?! I've been fightin this thing for weeks now tryin to get it to run right. I'm about at wits end. Any help would be awesome guys...Thanks so much!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you every reset the computer?.........or maybe a bad torque converter because does it die in park or drive?

Last edited by dodgeram07; 03-01-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

pre-cat O2 sensor. Replace it and it should run fine.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM
dirtoutlaw88

Well I checked the TPS with a voltmeter and it was giving me erratic values from idle to mid throttle. It seems to accelerate much better with a new TPS. Yes, I have reset the computer each time I've replaced a part. It will struggle to stay runnin no matter what gear it is in, giving it gas is the only thing to bring it back or shutting it off and re-firing. Code reader is tellin me part throttle TC lock up solenoid has a open/short, but its not reading any code for O2 sensor. Are there any other checks to validate the TC is still ok, or to check the O2 sensor with a multimeter? Also, how confident are you in the O2 sensor fixing the stall and surge? I sure do appreciate your help guys, this is my first mopar and don't know too much about em...yet! lol

Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
dirtoutlaw88

on this truck there is only 1 o2 sensor right? located in the front of the Cat converter?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtoutlaw88
Well I checked the TPS with a voltmeter and it was giving me erratic values from idle to mid throttle. It seems to accelerate much better with a new TPS. Yes, I have reset the computer each time I've replaced a part. It will struggle to stay runnin no matter what gear it is in, giving it gas is the only thing to bring it back or shutting it off and re-firing. Code reader is tellin me part throttle TC lock up solenoid has a open/short, but its not reading any code for O2 sensor. Are there any other checks to validate the TC is still ok, or to check the O2 sensor with a multimeter? Also, how confident are you in the O2 sensor fixing the stall and surge? I sure do appreciate your help guys, this is my first mopar and don't know too much about em...yet! lol
check your MAP sensor this can cause surging as well.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM
dirtoutlaw88

Is there anyway to clean the MAP sensor, it had rustly powder come out of it when I cleaned the throttle body last week. AIM4Squirrels...Is there just the 1 O2 sensor that screws into the front of the Cat?
...Has anyone replaced the Torque converter lockup solenoid before?...any tips I should know about or is it pretty straight forward? Drop the pan and filter and Valve Body, then replace? Thanks for all your help thus far!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:56 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Marty over at KRC has stated that typically any time a vehicle starts to stall and die, ESPECIALLY after the truck enters closed loop, the first and most likely culprit is the O2 sensor.

Depending on the truck, it could be 1, 2, or even 3 upstream sensors.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 PM
dirtoutlaw88

Anyone know about the TC lockup solenoid, or a link?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should only have 1 o2 sensor

Quick Reply: Surgin around 40mph and stalling after warmed up.Help?!