2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tach wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:52 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach wire?

Hooked up my remote start probably a month ago now. When it was cold out, all was well because the truck would high idle when started. Even after the truck was semi warm after running it... it would cool down fast enough that that if I hit the remote start again after coming out of a store or something it would still high idle when you started it for a few seconds, and allowed the alternator to crank up fast enough to register a difference. Well... as the temperature gets warmer out.. it it starting to not sense the voltage difference after running it because it idles around 600 rpm. It's time tomorrow to pull that dash apart and hook up that "tach wire" up. Not that I plan to use the remote start much during the summer... it still should be wired up right. Heres the problem......

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...etail/100.html

The12volt says the tach wire is black with gray stripe. I tried to cross-reference this with the Manual (8W 80 67 or PG 1080) and the only wire that is that color combination is "Ignition Coil 1". Is the ignition coil wire the one I want? Haha just want to make sure before I send 40,000v to my remote start box.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:30 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

NEVER, NEVER try to match colors by what an instruction manual wrote. Look at the wiring diagrams carefully and find the correct tach wire.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hooked my aftermarket tach up to one of the wires coming off the coil. It was black with a grey or brown tracer, can't remember for sure now. But yes, the tach signal is off the coil.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
NEVER, NEVER try to match colors by what an instruction manual wrote. Look at the wiring diagrams carefully and find the correct tach wire.
Aim, the instruction manual did not suggest a wire. I used the12volt as a cross-reference when I installed the remote start so I know all the other ones were right. I did try to look in the manual but there isn't a "tach wire" to be found on the three pcm plugs. Thats why I asked if I was to tap the ignition coil wire.

Thanks silver. I'll see if I can find anything this afternoon.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Good, glad you got it figured out. The pre coil wires won't put out 40,000 volts, you'd have to splice into the large coil wire off the top for that for that.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Good, glad you got it figured out. The pre coil wires won't put out 40,000 volts, you'd have to splice into the large coil wire off the top for that for that.
Haha, yeah that was my poor attempt at a joke. Anyway, thanks once again guys.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Might not be a bad idea for a full body hair electrolysis business.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you finish this??

Just to let eveybody know he missed me while he was away at school and had to come visit me today lol

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
robinbobin
Rookie

use the odd color wire off of one of the injectors. same thing as the tach wire basically. thats what used on my ram. works great. when i installed it i started the truck remotly and pulled the wire off to test it. and sure enough is shut off

Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Axle

Yea I put in a 4 inch tach on the dash of my ram. Remember to switch the back of it to 8 cylinders to start with! lol. otherwise like mentioned, there is a 2 wires that go to one clip that clips into the coil. the wire on the side closest to the passenger fender is the one you want to tie into, i also forget the color. Works great for me!

this on a 94 ram 318

Quick Reply: Tach wire?