2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:54 AM
afguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions

Hey everyone. I know you probably here these questions all the time so sorry, but Im thinking of getting some help with my GM addition so to speak. Anyway, I am looking to get a 2nd gen Ram 1500 4x4. Now I know most of you guys are hardcore Dodge guys and are going to say they are the best ever, cause I used to say the same thing about my GMCs and Chevys until they started getting rid of all the good stuff (ie S10 and Camaro). So I guess my question is what is the life expectancy of the average Dodge V8. What are so common quirks of a 4x4 Ram. Stuff like that. BTW...I would like to get about a 4 or 5in lift and slap some 33s or 35s on it. Im not going to do any more rock crawling, this is more just to hit some trails and have an overall nice truck.

Thank in advance,
Sean

Old 03-01-2005, 05:55 AM
afguy
Default RE: Newbie Questions

PS I havent always been a GM guy, I have had 2 Jeeps if that counts

Old 03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Snafu

Don't worry, not all of us here are blinded by a single manufacturer. I currently own a Dodge, 3 Chevys, and 3 Jeeps.

For the Dodges, the engines are really solid. They haven't changed much in the last 35 years or so. They'll run just as long as any other motor out there, and are pretty strong. Not a whole lot of aftermarket stuff compared to a Chevy 350, but why you would want to get is available. The automatic transmissions are hit or miss. I've got friends who have 140,000 miles on them with no troubles, mine exploded at 78,000 miles. They either last forever, or completely explode WAY prematurely, and there's no way to tell what yours is gonna do. I would highly reccomend a 5-speed, especially if you're gonna do any off-roading.

The 1/2 ton axles tend to eat carrier bearings on occasion. Not a terribly common thing, but it has been known to happen. Also, all Dodge's like to eat track bars and ball joints.

If you're gonna lift it and put bigger tires on it, I'd suggest looking for a 3/4 ton. You'll get the bigger axles and bigger brakes, which will help with the bigger tires you plan to put on in the future. Also, the 5.2L (318) is a good motor, but with larger tires you'll most likely want the extra grunt of the 5.9L (360).

Old 03-01-2005, 02:10 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

not mentioned is the plenum gasket failure, look down the TB and see if there is any oil on the bottom of the intake manifold, if there is none, chances are pretty good it's not leaking. Also the timing chain will develop slop in it and should be replaced at some point with a good double roller chain. I'm beginning to suspect the timing chain slop is the reason some of the ram owners get such crapy gas milage. there are performance trucks out there that are built pretty good getting 17~18 mpg.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:24 PM
afguy

I do want to get a manual tranny. Im not TOO concerned with gas mileage cause I live on base and work on base. The only time I would really use alot of gas is on the trails. Ive never been able to afford a full size 4x4 with a v8 and Ive always like the dodges. If I do get one it will be a major change cause right now I have a 98 GMC Sonoma standard cab 4x2, 2.2l 4cyl 5spd, lowered 3.5". So to go from that to a fullsize, lifted v8. I cant wait.

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions