2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:10 PM
TyKansas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Work

Hey all. New here (but glad I found this site). Had my Ram for about a year now, and looking to make the first big repair. Have a 1998 Ram 1500, 5.9, auto, 4wd. Been hearing a knocking when I drive so had it looked at. I've taken it 2 places and received the same diagnosis. Need both upper and lower ball joints, left and right tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, and both axle u-joints. The cheapest quote I'm getting with labor and an allignment is around $1300. Does this seem outrageous? Not the work done, but the price. One of the guys was my main mechanic, and he's never told me I need anything I didn't. The actual noise was the passenger u-joing knocking around loose. Found the rest when he investigated further into it. Glad to hear all responses!

Last edited by TyKansas; 03-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
TyKansas

Should specify that the quoted price was using Moog parts. Know that part prices fluctuate like crazy.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

If you're asking here, you'll hear "do it yourself and pocket the cash". It's really not that hard and will save you a PILE of $$. We've got folks here that will hold your hand as well as write-ups (with pictures) and links to outside resources.

I'm going to have to do this job myself shortly ... I wouldn't DREAM of taking into the shop for something as simple as this.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe to you and me it's easy, but to someone without the proper tools and the knowledge of all the aspects of doing the job, it usually turns into a nightmare for them. (like not damaging the seal for instance)

If you have the will to learn and don't mind buying some tools, and have another vehicle you can use in the meantime, I say do it yourself. Other than that, see if your main mechanic will let you get the parts yourself (like from Rock Auto) and just pay the labor. That will save you some cash too.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Thats sounds about the right price for paying a shop to get the parts and perform the work. But, (without looking up exact prices on all the parts) I am guessing you could purchase the parts yourself for about 350-400 bucks or so, and if you have the common mechanical tools/skills (ball joint press can be rented for free), it could be all replaced in less than a half day of work out in the garage (could also be much longer if you have to fight seized bolts/parts).

And you should have an alignment done once the tie rod ends are replaced (can get them dang close just by measuring) which may run another 75 bucks or so.

Oh yeah, don't forget to check the hub bearings out... that could add another 400-500 buckaroo's to the bill.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Dodges half ton front axle

Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Bigdodge98
Rookie

I havent heard you mention the track bar you should do that while your at it. Another good way to save some money is to use the lukes link system.

Quick Reply: Front End Work