2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

extremely aggravated

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, yea i know where it is now. thanks. i was curious if that was it or not, cuz i was looking in my haynes manual and it shows a picture of something different. thank you for clarifying.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it out and clean it with some carb or electrical cleaner.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

do you think it could be the sensor itself, or the air getting TO the sensor causing the problem and the sensor is actually just doing it's job. i guess there's only one way to find out lol

Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

The danger of a leaking exhaust manifold is a burned exhaust valve. They get EXTREMELY hot but ... because there's so little O2 left in the exhaust gas, they don't burn. If you let O2 into the manifold ... well ... you can guess the result.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

so what you're saying is there's probably 02 leaking into the exhaust manifold and screwing with my egr? but then why would it throw a code for 02 sensor and not egr stuff.?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wjxavier
so what you're saying is there's probably 02 leaking into the exhaust manifold and screwing with my egr? but then why would it throw a code for 02 sensor and not egr stuff.?
No ... what I'm saying is that, if your manifold leak was going to mess anything up, it would be an exhaust valve which would show up as a misfire. A leak won't affect the O2 sensor at all ... a dirty or malfunctioning O2 sensor is undoubtedly the reason for your O2 Sensor code. The EGR Valve is not an issue here.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

ok, but most of the time, i dont get an 02 sensor code...my check engine light doesnt come on that often. only when it feels like it. and that's not that often. my big problem is my truck losing power and almost stalling randomly. at all rpm ranges. it was suggested to check the TPS and IAC. what are those? i have no idea and can't look cuz i dont have my manual with me.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Have you downloaded the '01 FSM from here? It's not always accurate (unless you have an '01) because of the changes Dodge made over the years but most things didn't change at all. You'll have it handy every time you're on the computer 'cause it's on the computer, too.

Oh ... the IAC and TPS are on the throttle body. The first allows the computer to control the idle and the second tells the computer where you have the throttle. Either one can get dirty and cause problems. In your case, the IAC is the suspect.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:52 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

ok...i just take apart the entire tb and clean it and everything attached to it lol. thanks for your help, i really appreciate it

Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

That's probably how I'd do it ... as long as you've got the stuff out and taking the time ... clean it ALL up.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1585345-post7.html

Quick Reply: extremely aggravated