2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

UH OH passenger mirror broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
sarahsgacky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it does

Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me except my sister was driving it and instead of a bird, she hit a metal post at 40 mph. the mirror only broke. the motor of the power mirror was fine. I bought a mirror from e bay for 30 bucks. I took the mirror off. Its held together by plastic clips that form a circle in the middle. Then installed it. took no more then 30 minutes. As far as inspection goes, in my state, Cali, you need both side mirrors. But then again, we are overflowing with **** liberals. Also try Pick-n-Pull or Pick your part. they should be only about 50 bucks. That's how much my bone yard charges. Best of luck

Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 AM
sarahsgacky

thanks j415 but is yours the i guess you'd call it motorized mirror(s)? that has the knobby thing on the drivers door that regulates what position each/either mirror is in? not manual operated position.
if it is motorized then thats great, as far as installation is involved. hubby thought he would have to get into door panel (i didn't think so but sometimes have to let y'all think what you want...sigh) so i hope that is true.
on this one just the mirror (see photos attached to this thread) broke the housing stayed on. pretty sure it was a bird.
purpl please see above where i responded...yes that looks like our control on dash

ok more questions...
the passenger window-power windows- control will not roll down that side, drivers side can operate it tho.
is that a window motor issue or some little diode thing? easy to fix?
now recently also, driver side door lock will not unlock the passenger side and will not lock the drivers side. i think. but something like that i will test later i just forgot what he said its late and dark and just don't feel like going out there right now (hes asleep) but something like above if not exactly that and if you want to lock or open (sorry one or the other) both locks you can only do from passenger side power lock control button, not drivers. what is this? all this stuff is happening lately. driving me crazy.
of course any help is really greatly appreciated.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:29 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tou have power/heated mirrors then.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 AM
sarahsgacky

thx again

Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
J415
Champion

Yes, I have power windows. The passenger window sitch sounds like its broken. as far as the door locks, it could be a pair of bad acctuators. the driver side power door lock motor on my truck would lock sometimes and other times not. It would make a sound like it wants to work but the gears aren't catching. Hope this helps. let me know.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
sarahsgacky

thanks j but i meant/asked if you had motorized (??) non manual adjusted mirrors not windows. so install the power heated mirror on your truck the whole housing you only had to basically pull housing off clips on the door and push/install the new mirror then? please be specific if its not that simple. thanks

Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM
J415
Champion

sorry, I just woke up when I replied to you. I ment to say mirror not window. since I have a 97 I don't have heated mirrors. But it should be the same, except for hooking up the heater plugs. it's staight forward like you just described.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 AM
dblj16380
Veteran

I had a slight run in with a sign (HeHe) a few months ago and the same thing happened but I didn't retrieve the glass part. If the back of the glass part is in tact then you can remove the glass and get a new piece of glass form AutoZone for like 15 and as long as you don't mess up the defrost pattern/sticker thing then the defrost will still work. I know because I did it to my drivers side mirror.

However, if you need to replace it altogether then I just bought one two weeks ago on ebay for about 35 shipped.

When you replace it, there is only 1 plug that hooks up. The plug hooks up the heat part AND the motors. Its simple. Once the door panel is off, it is just 3 nuts that hold the mirror on and one electrical connector.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: UH OH passenger mirror broke