2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

about to do headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:44 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have a haynes manual? it lays it all out. the torque for the bolts is 25 ft-lbs. start at the two center ones and work your way out when torquing. you also have to do a heat cycle when torquing them. do the original torque like i just said, start it up with everything torqued, let it completely warm up, then shut it down, and torque them again. Don't use anti-seize compound on the header bolts, or they will never hold torque. i would just make sure that the threads on the bolts are clean. the only ones i would use anti-seize on would be the y-pipe connection bolts. when you go to take the headers off, i would suggest doing them while they are still a little warm. heat does help. and soak them in pb blaster. chances are, you're probably going to break a couple or not be able to get a the ones off the y-pipe. if that comes, stay patient and work on it. you might have to drill and extract or cut. just know that it's going to take time and patience.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wjxavier
well headers got installed last week/end. oh boy was it fun! lol. i started friday after work. got to the shop at about 530 and worked until 9. by then everything was bolted on, just not finished, so we pushed it outside the stall and i worked till midnight on the pavement. that was fun...not. everything was good until i fired it up and realized i had plug wires mixed up. by that time, after i had been working a combined 18 hours in one day, i decided to call it a night. went back the next day after work and finished it up. still have a small exhaust leak on the left hand side, but i just havent had the chance to get at it yet and the shop has been closed the past 2 days. other than that, everything was a pain in the *** and it was so worth it
how was the performance and was there a change in exhaust note ??? thanks homie

Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a bit of a difference in performance(for the better). the exhaust note does sound a little deeper, but i dont have a good enough exhaust system behind it to REALLY tell if it has made a big difference or not. next step after this is dual pipes out the back. we'll see how it turns out. and i'll keep you updated. quite honestly, headers for 150, can't really beat that. and the warranty is from pacesetter. weird huh? summit shorty headers with pacesetter warranty. only bad thing was it being painted. i would have rather it be not painted. it just flaked off after driving 20 miles anyway.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeh,summit headers are made by pacesetter.i thought everyone knew that.

Last edited by talon6; 03-25-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wjxavier
there is a bit of a difference in performance(for the better). the exhaust note does sound a little deeper, but i dont have a good enough exhaust system behind it to REALLY tell if it has made a big difference or not. next step after this is dual pipes out the back. we'll see how it turns out. and i'll keep you updated. quite honestly, headers for 150, can't really beat that. and the warranty is from pacesetter. weird huh? summit shorty headers with pacesetter warranty. only bad thing was it being painted. i would have rather it be not painted. it just flaked off after driving 20 miles anyway.
I agree with the painted thing I got the black painted shorty style Pacesetter headers and it did the same thing, although I did buy them for performance and not looks. PB blaster with the combination of a can of Rust off or something worked great on mine. I don't have alot of the clearance issues some of the members have due to the 3" body lift I have on top of the 6" Sky Jacker suspension lift. As a matter of fact most of my exhaust manifold bolts were removed through the fenderwell just above the dual shock tower. Finish your exhaust it'll sound great. I didn't go with duals straight back 1) I don't know where to run the driver side pipe ( inside frame outside frame ), and 2) I 've been reading mixed views on the drop in HP and low end torque due to the drop in back pressure. I run a stock cat with a single 3" exhaust pipe split off into (2) 2.5" tail pipes exiting at angles out back. In between this sits a 3" single center in/out Flowmaster Super 40 muffler and I get great performance and no loss of low end torque.

Quick Reply: about to do headers