2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lund racerback

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Steeln1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda like them. See them all the time on lifted trucks. Mostly the Silverados. Want to see pics once you get yours installed.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran

from experiance with these racer backs the tape WON'T HOLD for long trust me. tried it. that is why you need to drill the holes. But there is a way around it though. On the bottom get 1/8 in thick angle iron cut to length mount to bed rails. then get some flat stock weld or bolt to angle iron and bend to match the inside of racer back. and to add for strength make a piece for across the top for the lights on the under side. Now you can do it 2 ways either bolt to the metal or fiberglass the metal to the racer back. the top of those racer backs have air vents for like scoops and a center that would bolt to the roof.the air will rip it rite off with tape.
2nd if you add 4 lights to it unless they are going to be little lights the weight of the lights and the air flow going pass them will just crack the fiberglass all to hell. the top is to thin to hold (lets say 4 round K.C. highlighters) It needs to be reinforced.
I would have gone with the lund fast back instead more support and thicker in the middle and no holes or tape needed to hold it down to the cab.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yankee it sounds like you are suggesting mounting it to the box... I don't think that would work for this, it fits snug to the cab sides and would rattle like an SOB... and I couldn't mount it to both the cab and box, as it would break over the first bump I hit.... As it is now, it has two metal braces from the side panels that bolt to the rear of the cab, so they should help somewhat...

as for the light bar section, it has no vents or anything like that, and it's front edge isn't any more than 1 1/2" thick, with the bottom of it about 2" above the cab. The lights that I will put on eventually will probably be smaller rectangular ones, but still a fair amount of drag I would think. This section is made of relatively thicker fibreglass and doubles in thickness across the back half of it where the lights mount, and therefore is quite solid... much more so than the side panels.

One other option, if I have to, is to screw it to the roof... it is drilled for 1 screw at the very front of the side panels where they meet the roof. Again, I hate to drill into the cab, but if I absolutely have to I think these two screws would hold it in place ok, along with tape down the sides and the braces on the back.

this is about how high it sits:

another rear view with it bolted together and trimmed around rails. it's sitting on the rails now but won't be when it's mounted. you can see here how its thicker where the lights mount

Sorry for the long read again and a big thanks for all your help and opinions, good and bad lol...

Last edited by Maxx_Magnum; 03-27-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran

the top of that one is different than the one i had on my toyota

Old 03-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I think I've had a change of plans.... a buddy called me today and he found me a chrome rollbar so we went and picked that up, and after a test fit, I have decided to put it on instead. It's what I was originally wanting for the truck, and so much less hassle to install/maintain. He told me about a friend of his who has a racerback for his dakota and I guess he tried taping it on....made it a little ways down the highway before it came off haha. The more I thought about it the last few days, the less I wanted to put it on. I'd always be worrying that it was coming loose or I'd find a way to break it haha... the rollbar is slightly more solid than the fibreglass haha...

Anyways, thank you guys a ton for the help and ideas. I'm not sure if I'll sell the racerback yet or hang onto it for a while....never know when something will come up for a trade lol

here's the rollbar, the lights on it are junk and it needs a polish, but it's in good shape and solid. That's my buddy that found it for me and no, that is not my house with xmas lights everywhere lol...

Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
01dabram20
Veteran

That looks better on your truck. I need to get one of those for my truck.

Quick Reply: Lund racerback