2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to check for vacuum leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check for vacuum leaks?

I'm trying to find out how to check for vacuum leaks. This is what happens, I start my truck in the morning and it does fine. I drive somewhere turn it off and go in for a couple minutes come back start the truck again and sit there for a little bit just idleing. After a few minutes it starts to idle rough and if I let it sit there like that for a while it almost stalls. When this starts white smoke starts coming out the exhaust pipe and is put put putting lol. Someone had mentioned to me before it could be the throttle body or the IAC valve but the high pitched hissing sounds like an air leak to me. also while driving down the road if I let off the gas a little bit you can hear the high pitched hiss come from the engine for a couple seconds. I'll post the same video up here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYZ6mzOyqtg

Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the IAC on back of the TB. Remove it, and clean it and the bore to which it goes into on the TB.

Quick Reply: How to check for vacuum leaks?